Folder keeps returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkShdw88

In Runtime
Hi all, not exactly a problem but an annoyance, an Administrative Tools Folder appears on my Desktop (as an icon) every now and then when i hover my mouse over start/all programs ... iv tried another forum and nobody knows wats goin on so i signed up to this and it seems much beta than the last one... the only way i can get rid of the folder is to shred it using a program called window washer which i use regularly (to clear history etc) .. i can not delete the folder when it appears on the desktop becoz windows says its required by xp to run, but i can rename it. if i rename it and then delete it says same thing.. the only way to get rid of it temporarily is to shred it.. when it comes back it has the same name that i renamed it to unless u renamed it agn before deleting it.. iv tried the start menu options and put administrative tools back in the start menu under control panel and ther is nothing inside of the menu (also doesnt fix the desktop folder problem) .. oh and ther is nothing inside of the folder on the desktop either.. and in case u were wonderin if i had a virus or spyware no i dont i chek all the time for spyware and viruses .. i use avast, antispyware and hijackthis if im infected, which i havnt been for a long time... please any help would b gr8! thnx, stuart

I'm sorry, I actually haven't heard of that one before! I mean it makes sense that it won't let you delete it if it were the real folder and not just a link. I'll do some research

HELP THE GUY OUT

Try starting in safe-mode and putting the file were you want it and deleting it were you don't, PREHAPS.

Don't have XP but read here all the time and the advice usually given here for fixing such things is to try in safe-mode.

Someone else should elaberate, I'm only guessing since know one else has posted.

admintools.JPG

admintools2.JPG

Yeah it just looks like a normal folder u can make nothing special which is why i cant understand wat xp is doing?? thnx i will try starting up in safe mode and tel ya if it worked..

Odd problem. Now the folder has no data in it, am i correct? (In other words, you have it showing hidden files correct?)
Right click the folder and hit properties, then post the folder size.
Also doesn't windows washer let you "bleach" files?

the folder has a size the same as if i create a folder myself take a look ...
admintools3.JPG

yeh window washer can bleach stuff thnx for reminding me coz i just made a custom plugin and made it shred and bleach admin tools and this came up! ...

admintools4.JPG

after clicking yes and then clicking another yes (it sed do u wish to delete the file even tho it was contained within a system folder) the folder size changed to 0

admintools5.JPG

very strange .. will c if it makes any difference and post on here wen i can

wel after a quick restart it .. the folder come bak (after hovering mouse ova start/allprograms .. but i found something else very interesting.. >>

admintools6.JPG

the desktop.ini file inside of the Administrative Tools Folder.. umm i always thort that administrative tools had system tools in it.. afta havin a look in control panel i now realize ther is nothing inside of the administrative tools icon!!

hey anybody including blitze105.. i posted screenshots of wats happning but im not getting anywhere.. plz help with this, stuart

BlkShdw88 said:
hey anybody including blitze105.. i posted screenshots of wats happning but im not getting anywhere.. plz help with this, stuart

whats that supposed to mean :(

I suggest doing a repair install. also these are kinda off the wall but maybe it will work.

make a restore piont!!!! then..
1. Open your regedit. ( Start -> run -> type "regedit")
2. Go to: edit -> search/find -> type Folder.htt
3. Delete the string if it comes up.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 but change step 2. Search for desktop.ini

This is a very off the wall solution as i said. I AM NOT AT FAULT FOR YOUR PROBLEMS :)

Next one is this:
1. Set up you hard drive as a slave.
2. Use the master drives DOS mode. ( start -> run -> type "cmd"
3. Go throught the directory and delete the folder/file.
4. The directory should look something like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart\Desktop
(funny thing, STUART?)

PS
Start -> run -> type "regedit"
then go to File -> export

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom