Licensing Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendo007

Baseband Member
A friend of mine wanted to upgrade his machines at his office so he went to dell's website and bought 15 dimension 8400 machines with windows home on them. Well...he uses active directory at the office and did not realize that home did not support active directory. To remedy the situation he wants to either ship the machines back to buy xp pro computers, buy an upgrade, or completly get rid of the active directory all together. There are 15 machines. In everyones opinion, what is the best method to take care of this?

Purchase XP Pro Corp. (I dont know if they sell this). Corp does not need to be activated and is pretty much open licensed.

Wow, no offense to you, but yer friend's an idiot. Didn't he read anything or even wonder why one is called "Home" and the other "Professional"?

Anyway, he should call DELL and explain the situ to them and see what they can do. They'll probably laugh their heads off, and when they're done, they'll likely have him send things back (hardware or software or both). They're likely not going to just send him software because that'll be a risk for breach of license.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I suggest getting new machines with windows xp pro. Dell will probably not mind switching, or giving him his money back as long as the computers are still in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom