What is needed to run XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the minimum requirements driven by Microsoft is a 266MHz processor with 64MBytes of RAM.
Of course, in order to get the proper performance out of this operating system, you should use a faster processor with at least 128MBytes of RAM.

-Michael

Microsoft actively recommends 128MB RAM.

Windows XP is amazingly efficient even for the slowest of slow- you should be able to run it....just be sure to cancel out all of the pretty fades- they will kill your resources.

depends on if you want it to be reliable or not. XP is a great OS, but I am cautious of putting it on a computer with at least 128 and a pro of over 333.

i'm also about to install it to an old computer of mine, here are the specs:

400mhz mmx SLOT p2

384mb dimm

16gb hdd

8mb video

I'm running it on my parents' computer; a 500 MHz PIII, 128 MB RAM, 12 GB HD, and an 8 MB graphics card. Works, but not quite the greatest. I personally wouldn't run it on anything much lower then that. Go for Win2000...virtually the same thing without the new look, but uses less resources by default service settings.

Never go with the minimum requirements, thats only what you need to install it. Performance will be horrible.

OK now I am confused, When it boots up it says intel celeron 266, on system info it says intel pentium II with MMX tech. Are these 2 different names for the same thing? I was going to check into win 2000. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom