CRT Monitor; Truth or Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Ok, something I have to get cleared up here. Since the beggining of my computer career, oh so many years back, I have always been told NOT to touch the glass on a CRT monitor with my hands. "The oils from your fingers eat through the protective film over the glass" I was always told. Now, is this truth, or crap? Does it just make an annoyance of having fingerprints on my screen, or is it actually detrimental to the screen?

Also, what is NOT good to clean it with? Is it fine to use Windex or like stuff, as long as I dont spray it directly on the glass? (So it dosent fall down, seep through the little spaces, and land on some electronics)

I never heard about anything like that. I also have never heard of/had a problem with using Windex to clean a CRT.

LCDs are a whole other story, though.

Yes, I know it is a whole new bag when you hit LCD's. But CRT's is the current question at hand.

i was told to use dryer sheets on your screen cause it takes off the dust real well. and the same guy told me that windex takes out the color in your CRT slowly. dont know if its true or not but the dryer sheets work real well.

I went on a Googling spree, and I found tons of suggestions to use regular glass cleaner on CRTs.

Oils in your skin can slowly eat through a lot of things including plastic. I don't belive that happens with glass however...

Many CRTs have a special anti-glare film or coating over the class. Oils may damage that (I don't know) but most class cleaners (which often contain ammonia) will. If your monitor does not have a coating or you have already used a cleaner with ammonia in it, you've done any damage that can be done, so continuing isn't such a big deal.

Ideally, for both CRTs and LCDs you should NOT touch the screen (even if its harmless, it still smudges things up and can introduce tiny, abrasive particles which can scratch when you clean up that nasty fingerprint later). Clean with a good quality electronics screen cleaner (many leave an anti-glare anti-dust coating) and use a non-abrasive cloth. That said, paper towels usualy don't hurt. Rubbing them together can break down some of the stamped structure and make a softer paper towel.

I always touch my monitors and nothing's happened and I keep themf or 10 years

I also licked it before

The screen of a CRT monitor is just glass, you can do what you like to it and it wont hurt it really.

Elbatrop1 said:
Ok. I think you should add yourself to the list in your sig.

The only reason to lick a monitor is if you spill something tasty on it.

I'm sure he was wasted, and drinking another drink, and he jumped(for one reason or another) and got his precious alcohol on the screen. He licked it off because he didnt want to be guilty of alcohol abuse. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom