Problem converting FAT32 to NTFS. Require assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
I have a user using XP Pro who has user rights on her computer, but I need to provide administrative rights to one of her folders. When I right click on the folder, it does not give me the security tab. I went into Folder Options to uncheck 'Use simple file sharing', restarted the computer (which technically I do not have to), and after the computer restarts, she still does not have the tab. I logged onto the computer using my account which has administrative rights and I can not see the tab either. Then I noticed the HD was formated using FAT32. When I tried to convert the C drive to NTFS using 'convert c: /fs:ntfs' , I received the message:

'Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?'

I chose 'No' and figure I ask you guys for assistance first. I went to Microsoft's website, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881 and it stated:

'To resolve this issue, type Y at the command prompt. The volume or drive is converted to NTFS the next time that you start your computer.'

Does anyone know what it means by type Y? Do I type the following at the command prompt?

C:\>Y convert c: /fs:ntfs

Any comments or suggestion is appreciated. If you have a way of bringing up the security tab without converting the drive, that would even be better. Thank you.

Type Y as in Yes. It asked you if you would like to proceed, but you chose not to. Choose 'Y' and you will proceed,

It's basically saying that since the filesystem is in use, you can't convert it. If you hit yes, it will convert it on the next boot(strap sequence), as the filesystem has to be converted before any drivers, startup files, etc are loaded .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom