8X display card VS 4X AGP ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

access denied

Baseband Member
if a 8X display card is installed on a 4X AGP motherboard, will it work?

will it lead to any conflict? :beard:

Most cards are backwards compatible, and it should work. As long as the card runs at 1.5 volts.

Also, keep in mind that it will run at 4x..not 8x.

I dont notice a difference between the x4 and x8 cards, anyways it should say on the instruction manual or box if its backwards compatible

what about the other way around? a 2x/4x card on an 8x board? I have a Radeon 9000 Pro, which I believe is 4x. I plan to put it into a new system, with 8x agb. possible?

I'm sure that the 2x card can't be used on the 8x board (NEVER do this) because the voltage of 2x card is higher than 8x card. If you try to do, your display card can ''boom" :D . But I'm not sure about the 4x card. :)

Most AGP 2x cards are not "keyed" in the same orientation as a 1.5V/0.8V-only slot, which means that they, for the most part, will not fit in.

4x AGP cards should work in an 8x slot, unless noted otherwise by the motherboard's manufacturer.

Martin said:
Most AGP 2x cards are not "keyed" in the same orientation as a 1.5V/0.8V-only slot, which means that they, for the most part, will not fit in.

i've heard people frying their computers despite of this, meaning they are not always keyed in or some idiots are really strong :p

Most motherboards nowadays (as well as many first-gen AGP 8x and 1.5V-only AGP 4x motherboards) have had the "idiot-proof" key. Usually when there was no key, the motherboard would simply detect an AGP 3.3V card as a video error.

I suppose though, that one could remove the bracket of an AGP3.3V card and put it into the 1.5V slot backwards, but someone who'd want to do that would truly have a questionable mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom