Blah...Hard Drive not recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Ok, my new order just came in and a SeaGate Barracuda 120GB was part of it. First time I turned on, it wasn't recognized at all by the BIOS, and I saw that the power cord had come loose, so I plugged it back in. Turned on a second time, recognized by BIOS. But, when I went to "My Computer", all I saw was my 80GB WD, but not the seagate. I went to the control panel and it was listed. I turned it off, and reset the jumpers:

Master = ON/Slave= OFF
|:::
Cable Select
:|::
Limit space to 32GB
:::|
Unknown
::|:

At first, it was set to "Cable Select", and was recognized by the bios but not my computer, I then set it to "Master ON Slave OFF", and it wasn't recognized by the BIOS. I set it back to "Cable Select", and it was fine in the BIOS but not in My Computer. I'm prolly gonna feel really stupid asking this, but is it even suppose to be seen under my computer? What I'm trying to do is transfer all the data from my 80GB to the 120GB to give my parents the 80GB for the comp I'm building them. If it's not suppose to be seen under my computer, then I have no clue where to find it and activate it or whatever. What am/should I do to "fix" this hard drive problem?:confused:

I am guessing you mean I should format the 120GB? How can I do that if it doesn't even appear in "my computer"?

make sure your IDE and plugged all the way in (use a little force if you gotta)

you can also try the hdd on another computer to see if it gets recognized or use another IDE cable

Make sure that the boot drive is on the primary (master) ide,alone. Hook that new hd to a seperate ide cable as slave.

or just install the new drive alone on your system and format it. and then try to hook it up as secondary/slave and see if you can see it under "my computer"

you should be able to see it under "my computer" regardless
it would be considered :d or :e depending what other devices you have hooked up. It would just be seen as 0 gb(if it did not have a operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom