• My Very Own Operating System!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AB0

Baseband Member
I am stuck on weather to get one or two GB of RAM for my next computer. I really can't decide myself. Can you please vote for which you think I need?

Arguable. Depends on what you're using your computer for.

I'd certainly go for "more is better" in this case, though my computer usage demands a lot of RAM, but no demands on the graphics card. If, for example, you do heavy gaming, it may be worth shifting the budget towards a better graphics card as opposed to more RAM, as Beed said.

nah, 1gb is more than enough unless he's planning on rendering in 3d studio max, encoding a DVD, working in CAD all at the same time.

1 gig is enough for everything cept 3d video's and hardcore video and audio editing

And 640k ram, WTH

I think this is more of a matter of personal preference really. One thing is for sure, I say 1gig at minimum for any hardcore user. 1gig is normally more then enough for anyone... But, having $$$ and additional slots on your MOBO for another GIG won't hurt a bit. The more RAM the better I always say.

Both of my PC's have 2 GIG.

ESTIMATED USAGE in %
Dell 8300 - P4 3.4GHz / X800XT Pe / 2gig (4x512MB) Corsair Value DDR400
(Normal Usage = 28-32% used / Heavy Usage-Gaming 35-45% used) - This PC has TONS of things running at the same time. Lot's of neat little GUI programs, windowblinds, object desktop, object dock, ETC.. Lot's of other stuff in taskbar... Too much actually... THe highest i've ever got this one to was 59% - But that was more of an experiment that anything else... I just kept loading all kinds of applications. Photoshop, web, winamp, dvd movie, email, word, excel, studio 8, running AV scan, running spyware scan, - and tons of background stuff... funny thing is, it was slow... but it was very usable. Much better then alot of PC's i've used...

FX-55 - DFI - Lanparty SLI-DR - (2) eVGA 6800u SLI - CORSAIR XMS DDR400 (4x512MB) TWINXLPRO's 2.2.2.5
(Normal Usage = 15-20% used / Heavy Usage-Gaming 30-35% usage) - This PC has very little running in the background, only the absolute essentials... Firewall, AV, OS services, Normal stuff...

SO I guess really all anyone needs is 1 gig...

depends on what your doing with it, sometimes a good way to use extra RAM is as a ramdisk, which can be used for building a filesystem/toolchain,or storing data from a server, or even as space to run apps from

highest Ive ever seen one app use was 644mb, so a 1GB stick of RAM is pretty safe most of the time, whats funny is after all these years, most apps still dont use RAM nearly as nuch as they could to speed things up

I've never seen someone continually post PC specs as much as you havoc....

in terms of overclocking 2gb is way worse than 1gb, it's harder to OC 1gb than it is to OC 512mb and it's way harder to OC 2gb than it is to OC 1gb

We'll you are on these forums 24 hours a day, so i gues you would have seen most of my 378 posts. 10% of them probably had my PC spec in them.. Which I add for reference...

I guess i'll exlude them for now on, if anyone questions my spec's i'll refer them to you nubuis for verification...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom