Help! HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing that senseless mentioned up there could cause your problem.

System restore does not activate every time you load an application... though it would improve overall win perfromance disableing it.

you dont need 2048 mb's of paging files. thats just not neccessary. 2048 mb's of Virtual memory is pritty standard, and overkill for most.

virtual mem = Physical Ram + Pagingfiles
so 1gb of ram + 1gb(1024) paginefile(aka swapfiles) = 2048 virtualmem.

overlocking would not solve the problem(assuming that one actuall existes) because your system is overkill for those applications.

OK I installed the SATA driver if its the thing says SATA RAID5 driver (there was nothing else on the disk that said SATA on it). I still haven't downloaded memtest86 but like u said that probably wont help. What else you got?

EDIT: I'm going to bed but i'll check this thread later. Keep spitting out ideas b/c its really annoying having to wait 5 mins to play a game. I'll bump this thread tomorrow to see if i can get more help. Thanks.

wtf? why aren't you running memtest86+ just to make sure? memory could be the cause of anything, even indirectly

also senseless, with that crap value ram, i don't think he'll get anything over 2.2ghz

You dont have to run your ram 2:1 diablo, you can run it at 333 speeds and OC high

For the problem, to me it seems like a highly fragged hard drive, even though on my old PC i had a simmilar issue with HL2, it took 5 minutes to load

my third post, i EDITED it, saying exactly were to get it witch to get, and how to use memtest. perhaps it was overlooked
----------------------------------

when watshisname up there mentioned something about HL2, that gave me another idea.

maybe the games that your loading are trying to detect a network connection or a server everytime thy startup. witch would cause it to run slow if its not propperly detected or if its having troubles with a server.

so just to test, you could disconnect any modem or cable to your computer, start it up, and run the games, c if it affects it at all.
-------------------------------------------

if you realy think there not running as there suppost to at startup, go back to my first post and check each item listed, and then re-run the games and post back.

note-
pagingfiles are at = /start/settings/control pannel/system/advanced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory/change

defrag is at /my computer/right click HDD/properties/tools/defragment

OK i will try all of those things. It can't be the modem b/c as of now i have no internet connection on that computer. Thanks for the help though!

OK i tried doind the pagin file thing and when i did that i clicked the icon and the game didn't even start. Also, i hope that this doesn't matter but when i installed windows i made a 5GB partition for program files and windows and a 40GB for my games and other stuff. I don't know where all the other space is or how to change the paritions. I hope that helps.

i dont know what you did to your drive. but if you wont it running optimally....

reformat and partition it something like this...

35800 MB (rounded off) = Primary partition 1
42200 MB ([estimated]whatever the remaining total is) = Secondary partion

once those partitions are formatted like that, you will prolly end up showing like this in windows...

34 GB = C drive
40 GB = D drive

Then use your C drive for Windows and any programs or games or anything that needs to be installed for that matter.

and use D drive for any misc files not tied to the OS, such as 'download files' 'mp3/avi files' 'word files'.

EDIT: o yea if you dont know: note - that a 80gb HD formats to 74gb's max

o yea, also put your paging files on the C-drive, set at 1024 max/min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom