Video card performing too well?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighClassHiFi

Beta member
First off, my system is an emachines laptop, AMD Athlon 64 3000, with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600.

I recently installed Splinter Cell and immediately noticed that while the game was visually perfect, it was running at about double speed, except in places where there was enough detail to bog it down.

After uninstalling and reinstalling that game, and doing the same with my video card drivers, I decided that maybe it just wasn't compatible and tried out XIII.

Same thing happened. I tried activating V-sync, and it did nothing. Reinstalled direct x also. I even tried the Omega drivers and that didn't change the situation.

Basically, I believe the problem is Direct 3D games that rely on Direct X 9.0 have no framerate limiting. At this point, I think I am out of ideas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

That's right, the games were basically running as fast as the computer could manage; it wasn't just a high framerate, objects in the game would move much faster than normal, making it pretty much impossible to do anything. Now, I tried out some older games like Halo as well, and they were fine, which is why I'm guessing it's a problem they're having with Direct X 9, because (as far as I know) Splinter Cell and XIII are both DX9 games.

Does this happen in multiplayer as well?

You can tell if it really does because if it does, people will yell H4X

Well it kind of winds up working like lag, when I run forward, say, I shoot forward at super-speed and then jump back to the position I would have been in had I been going at regular speed at about 3 times a second, so basically multiplayer consists of me jittering around.

HighClassHiFi said:
Now, I tried out some older games like Halo as well, and they were fine, which is why I'm guessing it's a problem they're having with Direct X 9, because (as far as I know) Splinter Cell and XIII are both DX9 games.

fyi...........

Halo was one of the first PC games to support DX 9.

if yer comp plays that game...."fine", then i don't see why it shouldn't play other Dx9 titles.

if this double speed thing is bugging you..you could try a few things.

go into bios, and set yer aperture to 64mb instead of 128mb.

change yer AGP 8X to 4X.

in Advanced Display Props...try disabling any AA + AF...

see if that "slows" things done..

and also, adjust yer mouse sensitivity settings.

i have a M 9600pro 128mb in my lappy..and it can play those games pretty well.

2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom