Disk for OS are they universal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengh

Beta member
Hoping you guys could help me out with something, I emailed GATEWAY but they haven't responded, this is what I wrote...

"I need to reinstall the OS on my P.C. but I don't have the disks that came with that particular computer, however, I have another Gateway computer "that I own" that has all of it's disks, both are similar and close in age but have different model #'s. My question is can I use the same disks from Computer B, to reinstall the OS on Computer A???"

I'm thinking I can probably use the OS disk, but the driverÂ’s disk might be a problem maybe??

If they are like Compaq was many years ago when I dealt with them, they should be able to send you replacements for free. That would be the best bet outside of them giving you the green light to do that or if anybody else on here can say that you can.

Yea, I've gotten 2 replacements sets within a matter of 3 years for mine.

-SkyHi

pengh said:
Hoping you guys could help me out with something, I emailed GATEWAY but they haven't responded, this is what I wrote...

"I need to reinstall the OS on my P.C. but I don't have the disks that came with that particular computer, however, I have another Gateway computer "that I own" that has all of it's disks, both are similar and close in age but have different model #'s. My question is can I use the same disks from Computer B, to reinstall the OS on Computer A???"

I'm thinking I can probably use the OS disk, but the driverÂ’s disk might be a problem maybe??

Yes. I use to use my gateway XP home cd to reinstall all of my old computers back then. then during activation, I put the regular key to that machine back in. I use the gateway key to make the install go through, because there are 20 different version of XP home and some don't recognize others key. I still have that cd, even though I sold that computer. I don't use anymore because it doesn't have sp1.

I was able to use an HP Win XP Home disc on my computer (an eMachine) and it worked fine, although I had to download some drivers. So manufactures included branded OEM discs with their computers, if this is the case then all you'll need are some drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom