dell doing something illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hey, I have worked on 2 dells in the last 3 weeks, both needed a reinstall of OS because of viruses and such, when i ran everest on both of them before i reinstalled they both said the computers had different serials than what was on the COA on the side of the case, also, when i reinstalled it did not ask for the serial and both came back with the serial it said before i reinstalled, also, the serials used were not the same, but im not sure on that because one was XP pro and the other was home...wats up with this...

Where they reimaged by someone else before your reinstalled XP? You can change the serial number within XP using a tool called RockXP. And also, did you use their reinstall cd? If so, the same serial will come back.

If you use their install CD, it will not ask for a key. Its an agreement between Microsoft and Dell. As for Dell, their machines are coming with spyware now.

The same thing happens with the HP laptops I have worked on. It's weird but I have noticed it. And most of them were the home edition. I think its like the Dell agreement or something. As long as it works, I'm satisfied. lol

if they were reimaged or reinstalled they used their own cd, as for one of them no it was not re installed, the first one i worked on with pro, he had just reformatted but i had to again. Neither asked for serial and when i checked it both before and after they were different than the lisence on the side of the case, but what i dont get is wats the point of putting the COA on the side then, does that mean i could potentially just take that serial and use it? cuz its not like anyone would notice right? its like iving away a lisence or something...really freaking stupid in my point of view

thats because they are factory imaged. If they have never been ffr before, than they have the same coa from the forced image. Its not like a ghost type image, but is a forced/flashed image done at factory. That's why. After wards, there is just a proc script for the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom