why is 64bit "more secure"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isnt "more secure"

However newer AMD CPU's support DEP (Data Execution Protection) whichis a microsoft security thing.

Dunno more, try google.

What do u mean by "more secure"? In a 64-bit system? It shouldn't be. Both in terms of secure storage or secure channels via the internet.

In anycase, I am going to presume that u are talking about the key sizes for encryption - b/c that wud only make sense for ur question.

In which case 64-bit keys are considered to be "insufficient". It can be broken with brute force given sufficient computing power. You or I wouldn't be able to on our pewny FX-55 or FX-57's even. But the government could easily. 80 bit is "more" acceptable but it's considered to be insecure as well. The standard these days is 128-bit. The government uses 192-bit for "Secret" information. And 256-bit keys for "top secret" information. Read up on the AES specification (which is the Rijndael system these days) and you can learn more about this topic.

For asymmetric key encrption (RSA, Diffie Hellman, etc.) I believe 512 is the bare minimum. 1024-bit is recommended. Don't quote me on this though. b/c I can't remember exactly. And it depends on the system too. If you wanna know more about encryption keys and such, post away! :) I'll try to answer them.

i'm not talking about encryption technology thanks
I am talking about the processor..
Don't ask me what i mean by more secure, i'm asking you lol! :p
It's on their site....
DJ chris i researched and yes Data Execution Protection is the thing that theyre ranting on about i think.

lol. you should've said why is 64-bit "processor" more secure then :p.. Granted this is a h/w forum, but still that is such a fundamental question in crypto (the way u asked it) that I wasn't sure what u wanted to know. :)

Yeah it really depends on the system man. The system is not going to be "secure" just b/c it's 64-bit. That doesn't make any sense at any level. But the mere fact that a 64-bit processor "came on to the stage" after the 32-bit might have allowed them to put more security stuff in to the processor - a natural progression of technology, but not a causal relationship with the bit size of the processor. If someone were to make a new 32-bit processor, they could put the same stuff in there as well. :)

Some 64bit proc's have different instruction sets which make CPU attacks/zombisms more difficult, or impossible. You'll need to read the white-papers on your chip to find out the exact details of that for your chip.

It's not going to prevent your PC from getting viruses. It just HELPS prevent viruses from hijacking your CPU.

Those anti-executable bit extensions in intel and the AMD equivenlent, prevents most buffer overflow exploits. It has nothing to do with regular virii. It is just focused on buffer overflow exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom