Google Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
Now, I believe my unofficial title on these boards is virgin techie, and that couldn't be more appropriate. so if this is not in the right place i apologize right....NOW! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this program? What do you think of it. I think it sounds interesting, but I have been instilled with a sense of fear towards google stuff from much wiser (or maybe just much more paranoid) people saying it could be a privacy threat. I think I'd like to experiment with Google desktop, but since im so inexperienced in tech matters I figure my best defence against any security compromises is complete avoidance. blah blah...do you think google desktop could be a security concern? any opinion is graciously accepted.

A profiled company like Google wouldn't steal your personal information via this program. Millions have downloaded it, and if there was anything fishy about it it would've been revealed a long time ago. :)

I use Google Desktop myself, it's a brilliant program, and very handy in my opinion. :cool:

does it worth? hm? i think to download it...... i have heard that has good features and it is practical

Longhorn will include their own desktop search when it is released and don't worry about google taking your info.

Tyler1989 said:
Longhorn will include their own desktop search when it is released and don't worry about google taking your info.

I guess I'm the Devil's advocate and I haven't had a chance to check out Google's Desktop software but given that gmail's only purpose is basically for marketing and to profile everything that goes on with their users, wouldn't it make sense that Google would want to steal your information or usage habits?

From Google Desktop's about section:
Privacy and Google Desktop Search

Google is committed to making search on your desktop as easy as searching the web. We recognize that privacy is an important issue, so we designed and built Google Desktop Search with respect for your privacy.

So that you can easily search your computer, the Google Desktop Search application indexes and stores versions of your files and other computer activity, such as email, chats, and web history. These versions may also be mixed with your Web search results to produce results pages for you that integrate relevant content from your computer and information from the Web.

Your computer's content is not made accessible to Google or anyone else without your explicit permission.

You can read the Privacy Policy and Privacy FAQ online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom