N00b Network question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to suggest that. I think it helps with some hidden settings, plus it will probably tell you fi there is a glaring problem. Go to your network coonections properties, and make sure the client for MS networks is enabled. Make sure both somps are in the same workgroup. To make the log in dialog go away, go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> at the bottom of the list the is a "use simple file sharing." Check it if it is unchecked (only works on XP Pro, and possibly on 2k as well).

I'm only running XP Pro, and that one 2K pro, but there would be no reason that 2K wouldnt have a setting like that.

I have a Linksys WRT54G Router, some computers wired some wireless. Also running with that firewall, no Windows filewall or anything else. No ICS, just all through the router.

Oracle, with disabling that setting, would i need like accounts on both computers than to access one another? I'm at work right now, and i dont have any of the computers in front of me, less I would try all of your suggestions.

Thank you all for your help, and keep those suggestions comming!

Well, like i said, i dont have access to the computers. But when I go through the My Network places dealy and look at all the computers on my network, they are all listed. I can get to some, but not others. i would assume that i would be able to ping them, since they show up there.

Well, you could probably have an old view of them, I mean, you might have them in your "My Network Places," but they might not actually be accessable. I've had to re-do the Microsoft Networking about 10-15 times (literally) before I could get my first network working. I don't know how/why, but I had to. I had to make different workgroup names and stuff, too. Also, moving forward, I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but you have physical access to the computers, right? If so, go and see if you've got a default gateway on them [edit](via ipconfig) [/edit](I'm not as much into the networks as other things, but I've done a bit), and also if the computers have different IPs (I don't even know if they will, but they might *I'm assuming you're not having a connection the the WWW). If they've got the same IP, the computer might be having a problem resolving your requests to enter the computers.

I hope this helps, sorry about all the confusion, I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

-SkyHi

Confusion? Meh, it's fine.

I'm using a router with DHCP, so all the IP's are dynamic. In the view of the computers in the My Network Places, I can connect to some but not all. I do not have physical access to the computers right now, but I will in a few hours. Say around 11:00 GMT.

Well, I'd check ipconfig, again, I'm not an expert on networks, but this is just how I figure things:
You're trying to connect to something that's not there, so it denies your request.

Again, I don't know networks well, and I'm not sitting in front of the computer, so I'm sorry if I'm telling you wrong or if this is useless. But, I also might be right. Good luck.

Also, can you do
Code:
netstat
and get anything from the computers on a network? I'd try that, too, because you might be able to see them on your connections.

And another thing, I was just a bit confused, but I re-insured myself. With the dynamic IP address (If dynamic is what I read, and it changes) then you could be trying to access the computers through the wrong IP address, hence the ipconfig.

-SkyHi

I basically named all my computer the same workgroup name (Lockettkrew) and they can see each other whether I run the network setup wizard or not

make sure you shared something for the other computer to see. Sp2 also block some things too, that you will have to enable like file and printer sharing

No SP2 in my house, nope. For now, I am still adamantly against it. I have read all of the articles and stuff, but personal experience with it tells me otherwise. Please dont try to tell me to go to SP2, it is a waste of time.

Yes, all of the workgroup are the same. It's weird, I've taken tons of network classes and I really do know what I'm doing, but for some reason I cannot get this working the way I want. Well, when I went home to turn on my main computer, I got a bsod and it dumped out. DAMMIT!!! So I'm running memtest86, and so far it has taken like 12 hours and still is not complete. Weird, who knew it would take that long. Well, when I can use that computer, I will try everything. Thanks for all your help, men!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom