Help! HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
I just built my ocmputer with the specs below and i installed far cry and C&C generals. With both games whenever i click the game icon to play a large screen somes on that shows the title of the game and its graphic (i.e. Far Cry has a picture of the main charactor and his girl with guns). The problem is that these screens come on and stay on my desktop for about 4 mins before my computer loads the game. The HDD light is on the whole time so i'm thinking its having trouble finding files but i have no clue. Help please. Thanks.

i havnt played either of those, but i know C&C is pritty old, so that should take long to load.

fora start i guess you can only....

-make shur your pagingfiles are set manually to... 1024 min, 1024 max.
-try defragmenting your HD, c if that helps.
-tell use what resolution your running the games at.

-double check to make shure you didnt forget to install any system drivers for your motherbourd?
-if its actually a performanc problem along with the loading problem, its possible that you just have some settings set rong in bios, or lots of times there is also a Jumper on you motherboard that specifies your Ram FSB speed, and by default there sometimes on the slowest setting.. if not changed manually to the correct setting, it will drag your system down to that slow setting.

i bought the HDD and my combo drive OEM so they didn't come with any drivers. Could that be a problem? I have no problems loading anything after the screen goes away...loading levels only takes a few seconds. And where could i get memtest86+?

1.) run memtest86+ to check if you got errors
2.) your crap psu
he can run memtest anyway, but memproblems prolly wouldnt cause slow loading, but rather system crashes.

and the PSU may not be great, but it wouldnt cause loading problems. Thats like saying the psu fluctuates the Vcore or the Voltage for the Dimm slots, so much that it cuts his perfromanc in half? like a 40% fluctuation. that wouldnt only cause problems but the system would cease to function. So its not the PSU. If PSU had a prob, it wouldnt be this kind.

www.memtest.org

no u shouldnt need any drivers for them anyway.
only thing you would need installed is your SATA cotroller drivers for your Motherboard. Usually come with the motherboard drivers.

if the games are only patialy installed so you have to use the CD to play them, that would definatly cause what your saying. in witch case its performing as it should. but i dont know if a full install with needing the CD to start it would cause such a thing. Because any games i have played recently, i just do a full install, and use a no-CD crack file, so i dont need to keep inserting the CD.

EDIT: o yea, just download, the 'compile package for floppy'. and extract it to a floppy. restart with the floppy in the drive, and if you floppy is set higher in the boot order then you HDD in bios, then it will auto run memtest.

you only need to press escape to stop the test.
the langer you let it run, the more pass's it can make, making a more acurate test.

each pass takes a long time, best to just let it run overnight.

how can i tell if i did a half install or not? I just put the game in and clicked intall. I'm pretty sure i installed the SATA driver for my mobo but i'll check again. Any other suggestions?

Some games, prolly dont give the option for a 'minimum' or 'partial install'.

but i have seen some in the past allow this option during the install proccess.. it also displays the amount of harddrive space taken up.. and if the partial install option were avalible it would display less space needed.

but if no option like that apears, it just does a full install.

EDIT: did you ever run these games on a previouse system, for compairision? so to make you think something maybe at amiss? if not perhaps that how the games are sappost to function?

Sounds to me like from the churning of the hd that system restore is most likely on..

turn off system restore

under the swap file tab make the system schedule for background services. make the swap file 2048min 2048 max.

turn off all windows sounds

turn off the visual effects of the drop down bars etc

check your bios rev. i believe there is an update for the neo 2

also check to make sure you're running in dual channel mode.

you can overclock your processor to 2.55 at least, i'd do it if i were you =)

senseless said:
Sounds to me like from the churning of the hd that system restore is most likely on..

turn off system restore

under the swap file tab make the system schedule for background services. make the swap file 2048min 2048 max.

turn off all windows sounds

turn off the visual effects of the drop down bars etc

check your bios rev. i believe there is an update for the neo 2

also check to make sure you're running in dual channel mode.

you can overclock your processor to 2.55 at least, i'd do it if i were you =)

That made very little sense to me. How much of that stuff do i do in the BIOS and how much do i do in windows? I'm still a noob as far as BIOS goes so explain everything you can to me. Yeah i am thinking about OCing but i don't know where to start and i'm not gonna try until i get my new psu in later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom