Raid 0 and WinXP installation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olan1Durai

Baseband Member
I'm rather new to this whole RAID thing, so I am somewhat confused as to what to do.

I recently put together my new computer and have been having troubles installing XP on my RAIDed drives (two 73GB raptors). I have an alternate 200GB HD, which is what I am using as my OS drive for the moment until I can get this thing resolved..

What do you guys need to know to help me figure this out?

My Mobo has a built in Raid thing... it's an Abit AN8 "Fatal1ty"

... Any help yould definately be appreciated.

... I have no A: Drive (which is what it asks you to put the Raid Driver floppy into), didn't think it was necessary; however, when the pc boots up, I am able to mess around with the RAID configurations (before it asks to boot with CD)...

Right now, I have the two Raided, and I am formatting them from within this OS installation... It is working.. Then I may try rebooting and installing again...

I have installed the RAID Drivers in this XP installation (same PC, different partition)...

Thanks for the quick reply

Didn't work, anyone have any ideas? Will I have to buy a cheap external Floppy drive and install with that?

Olan1Durai said:
Didn't work, anyone have any ideas? Will I have to buy a cheap external Floppy drive and install with that?

yes. you need a floopy to hit f6 from the windows xp cd, then it will ask for the raid drivers from the floppy while it is in dos, so it will see the hard drive.

Alright, well, thanks.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'd like to spare myself the few bucks for a floppy drive...

Olan1Durai said:
Alright, well, thanks.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'd like to spare myself the few bucks for a floppy drive...

there's no other way around it. an internal floppy drive cost like 5 bucks

maybe you can copy your 200 gig OS drive files to the raid drive with partition magic or maxblast if your 200 gig is a maxtor

Damnit, now the Raptors aren't working,

Windows XP recognises them enough to allow me to "Safely remove" them... but it doesn't recognise them when I try to use my administrative tools to mess with 'em....

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom