Unable to delete folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerberus98

Baseband Member
Hi everyone just a quick question. I have an empty folder on my HD and i cant seem to delete it. Everytime i try and delete it it says that the file is in use or it is write protected. I have tried starting in safe mode and using the command line but i still cant seem to get rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is really starting to annoy me

Have you checked the folders properties and made sure that the folder is not "read-only"?

Is there a program that thinks that it needs that folder?

Have you tried starting the computer in normal mode and attempted to delete it before you do anything else?

Is it a system folder?

I have made sure the folder is not read only, the folder only contained a few mp3s so i dont think any program should think it needs it. yes i have tried to delete it first up. And no its not a system folder. As you can see this problem is really starting to get the better of me. I bet the solution is so simple and its just something ive overlooked. Also thank you for the speedy response

Are the mp3's in the folder being pointed to by a 'playlist' from some MP3 playing program that you have? I doubt that could be a problem but, you never know.

Have you gone to 'tools' then to 'folder options' then clicked on the 'view' tab and checked the 'show hidden files and folders' radio button? That way you can see if there is something that was "hidden" in that folder.

have you tried to delete the folders contents and then the folder?

there are no mp3s or anything in the folder. i have tried to see if there is any program pointing to it but there isnt. I didnt even use the mp3s i just put them on there so i could use the cd that they were on. I then deleted them and then tried to delete the folder but that didnt sem to go the way i planned. I had no trouble deleting the mp3s.

I doubt he can rename it..usually if you cant delete it you cant do NADA with it. I would try the good ole kill explorer.exe process fix..worth a shot..hah.

Launch the task manager, go to processes, kill the exporer.exe process, then it looks like you crashed but your ok..then go to the top of the task manager and do FILE>NEW TASK, type in CMD. Then try and delete it that way. via
del c:\mybastardofafolderthatwontdelete

Oh then when your done if it worked or not just relaunch the explorer.exe process to get back to your desktop. Just launch a new task then browse to C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders

Checkpoints/workarounds: Test the Delete after each suggestion.

1. Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: RD /S [drive:] path
2. Open Notepad and save the (blank) file with the name of the undeletable file. Under save as, navigate to the file, delete.
3. Move the file into a new directory and then delete the directory.

4. Close all open apps. Open a command prompt (Start/Run/CMD) and navigate to the directory with the offending file(s). Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab, select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".

In the opened Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.) Once done, go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

Note: Could also opt for: ATTRIB -H -R -S filename before the DEL.

5. Or you can use Process Explorer: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml. Use the search function to find every handle that Explorer.Exe has open and close them (right-click on the file and choose 'close handle'). Then delete the file(s) in question.

NTFS: "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;298345

Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)

Close all open apps. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files. Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "Explorer.Exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".

Now you will only have the command prompt and the task manager. In the Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.)

The files should now delete without a problem. Now go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type Explorer.Exe and click OK.

Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded. Use the search function to find every handle that Explorer.Exe has open and close them (right-click on the file and choose 'close handle'). Then delete the file(s) in question.

Thanks everybody for the responses i havent tried them yet but i thought i should just say thanks to everyone for there time and effort. Ill let you know how it goes.(Fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom