Why Can't I download a file over 4 gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pals08609

Solid State Member
Hi Every Body
I have downloaded a file which is about 4.15 gigabytes long, and every time the file download gets to 4 gigs it says that the disk is full, I have been to several new sources with the same message every time it just gets past 4 gigs. I have plenty of room on the hard drive, I've cleaned and defragged the H?D many times.
The people which I download from have the full 4.15 gigs, so why can't I get it? need to to resolve this Pals

E-mail pauladams@blueyonder.co.uk

my browser is IE 6 and my file system is fats32 if either of these are the problem how can I resolve this please pals

you need to convert it to ntfs instead of fat32 (4 gig limit). try partition magic

there a dos command line that let you do it, but I tried it that way over 3 year ago, and I did something wrong and it erase all of my data.

I'll try that but I think in the past I've downloaded files larger that that I think, but as I say I'll thy that thanks Pals

Hrm, I don't think you've downloaded a file > 4gb, because fat32 won't allow you to have a file larger than 4 gb.

-SkyHi

Thanks your probably right I must be mistaken.
The link you posted for the Powermax cd iso boot, I click on it ans a blank page appears Thanks pals

well, to just convert the c: drive the command is:

c:\>convert c: /fs:ntfs <ENTER>

it will then convert the fat32 to ntfs. Do this at your own expense AND back up any important files (I've done this before without problems BUT it is possible to have issues doing this)! Do this at the command prompt. Reboot. If it takes awhile to reboot let it FINISH! Do NOT turn it off and back on after the first initial reboot unless sure it is a failure. I've seen to many people get worried and shut it off after only a few minutes of the first initial reboot.

pals08609 said:
Thanks your probably right I must be mistaken.
The link you posted for the Powermax cd iso boot, I click on it ans a blank page appears Thanks pals

I just click it. it worked fine. it does take awhile for the download box to show up, however. And I'm using road runner. so it might just take awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom