HP Laserjet 1300 vs. Samsung 1710

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snump

In Runtime
I'm looking for a laser printer that isn't a peice of crap... I can find some good deals on a HP 1300 on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16188&item=6767499349&rd=1

We have one where I work and it seems to perform well. I think for home use it would work out fine.

There's also the Samsung 17xx series. That is a bit cheaper, but I don't know about the realibility of it. They have then at Best Buy. I'm leaning towards the HP because it IS an HP and they seem to make good laser printers. Everything else they make stinks... but from what I understand their laserJets are solid. Samsung is a bit of a gamble but it is cheaper. The Samsung has similar printing speeds but it is quite a bit cheaper. The old addage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=70843&item=6768860648&rd=1#ShippingPayment
What do you think? The printer is going to my parents... We have a Canon and they keep running out of color and realize this when they printed out 12,000 pages of a missing yellow.... It is on a JetDirect port.

I have a samsung ML-1710
paid $95 for it used and its the best thing Ive ever bought for a computer, toner is cheap, just keep feeding it paper and it keeps chugging along,

17 pages/minute is deceptively fast too, doesnt seem that fast till you tell it to do a 200 page job and it gets done before an inkjet would get 30 pages out.

I dont care for lexmark myself, their support for open source stinks, and their toner/ink is expensive as hell

horndude said:
I have a samsung ML-1710
paid $95 for it used and its the best thing Ive ever bought for a computer, toner is cheap, just keep feeding it paper and it keeps chugging along,

17 pages/minute is deceptively fast too, doesnt seem that fast till you tell it to do a 200 page job and it gets done before an inkjet would get 30 pages out.

I dont care for lexmark myself, their support for open source stinks, and their toner/ink is expensive as hell

Ah ha! This is good information.

Does it come with any weird print utilities? For example, my Canon ink jet has a ink monitor utility that does not work through a JetDirect port. Does the Sam sung have anythign weird like that?
My parents and brother are complete technological buffons.... How easy is it ti tell when the toner is running low? Changing the toner?

Well first you'll notice the print getting a little lighter, then a low toner warning on the printer itself with a blinking light.You can use bulk toner with it easily though, there's a little cap on the end of the toner cartridge that pops right off,pour toner in there, and your good to go for another 3500 pages or so.

Whatever printing utilities you use are gonna be OS specific, they are different, mine doesnt have any monitor for toner levels, just print quality and settings.

horndude said:
Well first you'll notice the print getting a little lighter, then a low toner warning on the printer itself with a blinking light.You can use bulk toner with it easily though, there's a little cap on the end of the toner cartridge that pops right off,pour toner in there, and your good to go for another 3500 pages or so.

Whatever printing utilities you use are gonna be OS specific, they are different, mine doesnt have any monitor for toner levels, just print quality and settings.

Ok, so its just the regular driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom