Windows 98 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrook

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have quite an old PCÂ…486 with Cyrix processor ,Windows 98.
It seems to take ages loading Windows after the point where I press escape when the dialogue box appears for username and password. The same is when going into folders, opening files (there seems to be a big pause), as if something is running in the background.
Could it be something to do with other programs running in Task Manager in Applications – maybe some programs that need to be terminated, but I’ve tried that before. I followed steps of ending them and then rebooting my PC and they should not appear again, but they do. i.e. something called Wtools ?, what is this for?
IÂ’ve also tried unticking as many things as possible (within reason) in MSCONFIG-Startup to see whether this would speed things up, at least when Windows is loading after booting up.
Furthermore, when I shut down my PC, the following error message appears every time:

“A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C02A1948 in VXD VWIN 32(05) + 00001200. The current application will be terminated.
Press any key to terminate the current application.
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.
Press any key to continue.”

By pressing escape or something, it finally shuts down, but this is not right, is it?!!!!

Does anyone know of any things I can check or do to solve these issues?

Much appreciated.

Regards.

Daniel.

Yes....thanks for that... but I'm sure there is a more specific solution to this...seeing that it is a fairly new problem...

Well yeah it makes sense that it would start failing now because the processor has probably reached close to the end of its life. My dad had a 486 for quite some time and then it died all of a sudden. It could be the problem, yet it might not. Sorry if I made it sound like an insult. The other thing it might be with the slowness is your hard drive, maybe it is bad or maybe it just needs to be defragged. Try those things and tell us what happens.

All computers running any version of windows NEEDS to be cleaned "Serian Style" at least once every 1.5 to 2 years.

The reason for that is because there are problems and\or programs that start to use memory or use the cpu when they are not supposed to.

All of those problems begin to get bigger and bigger "the snowball effect". and that is what you problem sounds like.

To clean a computer "Serian Style" in win98, simply format the HD using fdisk and then re-install a fresh copy of windows. be sure to save all of your valuable data first.

p.s. a new, semi-up-to-date computer is only $500 away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom