comparing 2.4ghz to whatever is out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terabyte

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm currently on an Intel 2.4ghz 400mhz system with 768 of RAM.
I have absolutly no idea about what is currently the best processor out there what with dual core and 64 bit on the go.

Just to clarify a few things.
Have intel got 64 bit processors and how do they compare with AMD's SPECIFIACALLY on 64 bit. (Facts not Fiction/Flames)

Dual Core.. again do intel do this or just AMD if so how do they compare. But what's the big deal with dual core.. whats to gain from it and why? (breifly explain dual core).

Also could sombody clarify what the effect the 400mhz system bus has on the speed?

If i was to upgrade from a 2.4ghz to the very latest thing buyable out there.. (ignore motherboard compatibility etc..)
What would I buy, and would i really notice a difference.

Wow how out of date am I lol :p

You would notice a HUGE difference.

Intel has dual core "gamer" chips, but they are still heavily outpeformed by the single core AMD FX-55 Chip and even some of the much cheaper AMD's like the 3500+

Your main letdown is your "400mhz (100 X 4)" frontside bus, today you either take an Intel with "800mhz (200 X 4)" fronside bus to give you more memory bandwidth, or an AMD with 2000mhz "FSB" (Note: AMD use hypertransport which is a built in memory controller, which is a CPU to memory connection instead of Intel CPU to FSB (Northbridge) to memory)

so...virgin techie... it is nice to see that you finally came out of the closet to see what else it out there? Just kidding...

AMD all the way if you ask me... that is if you are a gamer. I don't know a lot of specifics about the difference really, but I had it put to me this way.

Intel is a small fast man and AMD is a big slow man. Intel moves faster but carries less bricks, and AMD moves slower but carries more bricks. In other words, Intel does less work faster, while AMD does more work but moves slower.

The point I am getting at is that you can get an AMD processor that will run at 2.4 GHz whether you buy on that speed or overclock it to that speed. When you do that, you are letting the big slow man run just as fast as the small fast one, taking away Intel's advantage.

Seem about right anybody?

Errr...sry to say that, but that anology is kinda wrong...wayne...

It's sorta right....but...it's not the anonlogy i'd just.

AMD is faster cauze if it's integrated FSB or HTT technology. It allows much faster transfers from the RAM to the CPU. It makes your computer about 1.5 times faster than your clock speed. When AMD rates its computers, a AMD 3000+ is supposed to be about the same as an Intel 3.0 gighertz.

Hey terabyte, assuming you stick around long enough, terabytes will be standard and not that impressive of a number. What are you going to do then? ;)

Ah, like I said, that is what somebody told me. Also, I have heard that the analogy between the 3000+ and 3 GHz for Intel is wrong. I mean, when you think about it, for that to be true, AMD would be rating everything they make directly off of Intel. I don't know though to be honest. Sounds like it could make sense though.

Yea, it's only a general rule of thumb. There are some exceptions....like I bet a 2400+ could beat out an intel 2.5 or 2.6...it's gunna become even more blurred when dual cores come out. One example of blurred labeling - Intel canceled a P4 4.0 gighertz, AMD suddenly was comming out w/ a 4000+ .

Anyways, the other person's questions.

Intel has no 64 bit processors.

400 mhz system bus usually refers to the FSB (i think). It's about the same as AMD's equivalent HTT. It's how fast the CPU transfers data from the RAM to the CPU and back. The higher the better.

If you bought the best system you could buy today, yes, you would notice a difference. But more likely you're gunna buy parts that are reasonably priced, and you'd notice a differnce there, too, but not as big. What would you use a new computer for? Cauze if it's not for gaming, i'd wait.

They'd annouce it louder if Intel had 64-bit CPUs. Intel is eventually gunna move to 64 bit, they just have to have the time to think about what it means, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom