AMD or the P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
uzi9mm said:
Ok than, your one of those type of "people"

Yeah AMD is good at gaming. But a Pentium will smear AMD in most multitasking apps. You can't have the best of both worlds........

OK then smart-arse, which multitasking apps? You haven't substantiated your argument - where's the hardware configuration? The software used - was such a combination fair?

You can't deal with this comparison without also looking at external factors such as the changing nature of the environment you're operating under - AMD is gaining great ground in the corporate arena. Then there's hardware-specific bottlenecks, such as heat dissipation - Intel is smoking toast even at stock speeds, whereas AMD has plenty or room to manoeuvre..with additional space of dual and even quad-core CPU's. It's why the likes of Lucas are snapping up AMD-based rigs to help in the production of Star Wars films, as performance gains only in certain benchmarks are not the be and end all..

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2101p026id107492.htm

Remember that not EVERYONE can afford expensive servers, or have to worry so much about CPU sockets, as is the current case with Intel. Plus, AMD is not JUST good at gaming - especially when you have to factor into this equation that beyond a certain speed irrespective of AMD or Intel, you HAVE to have an expensive grafix card; the money saved buying AMD DOES allow you the right to go up a level and into the pro arena. Stop believing the BS coming from Intel PR people, and join the party.

Competition - like knowledge - is good for you! Enjoy.

:beard:

Sometimes, these posts crack me up... you know, people arguing over which is better. Just so everyone realizes this, if there was really a clear cut view on which company was the best, than there wouldn't really be a competition unless one was much cheaper than the other (for the sake of this argument, because I do not want to get caught in the middle, I am not pointing a finger at AMD because they're cheaper). I am just simply saying that it is all a matter of what you prefer and what type of computer work you are going to do.

However, for the sake of getting a good laugh out of these posts... you aren't going to let charles_scott say that and get away with it are you?

MrBebop26 said:
Dual core anything will be good, its just the fact that the P4 with HT uses a "image" second core, a fake but it works.

-Ryan

The Dual Core P4. Has 2 real cores. With HT on both. 4 CPU's in total. HT is just a logical CPUs that tricks windows to send multiple threads.

uzi9mm said:
How do I mean that the other way???????????
Is it because I am an Intel Fanboy???

Hell, I will admit it.

I AM AN INTEL FANBOY!!!!!!!!!!

But I accept the fact that AMD does perform better in games.
But I CAN'T stand people who think AMD's own in power apps and gaming. The world would be a better place without them.....:D

SORRY!! I read it wong!

-Ryan

uzi9mm said:
The Dual Core P4. Has 2 real cores. With HT on both. 4 CPU's in total. HT is just a logical CPUs that tricks windows to send multiple threads.

Yes the Dual Core P4 also known as Pentium D has two real cores, so does the Athlon 64 X2, however I was talking about a normal HT P4, not the Pentium D. The HT P4 only has one core, to logics running.

-Ryan

I was reading about AMD's and Intel dual cores. Intels are basically 2 of the same processors stacked togather using FSB. While AMD's are created togather. I would go AMD for dual cores.

Well the AMD doesn't use a shared bus it does have a shared memory controller, the Intel has both a shared bus and a shared memory controller, both can hurt performance. These are the first gens of dual core though, and AMD wins.

-Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom