problem formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moody

Solid State Member
A friend of mine got a virus on his computer and totally screwed up everything. He just wants to wipe out his HD and start over. When he tries to use the format c: command it just gives him bad command error. He says that he doesn't get a option for a clean install when trying to reinstall Win ME(he won't change). Thanks in advance for the help.

have him delete the partition first using Fdisk and recreate the partition and then format it. That should take care of it...

ok, well here is what u want to do, nto reinstall ME becuase their is better out there, ME is considered one of the worse OS's in my opinion, but if it works for you, go with it.

But, did you try a virus scan to get rid of the virus first?

He did not have any virus protection in the first place. He tried to install norton and get rid of it, but I guess that it didn't work.

Thanks and I'm trying to get him away from ME but he's stubborn.

try hooking it up to a computer witha working virus scan and protection, and scan it and get rid of it and see if the drive wil work again, if nto, if you atleast get rid of the virus, format the drive there, and tehn put it back in his computer and reinstall an OS

Does going to DOS from the Norton disk actually take you to DOS or just a shell of DOS. I have him hunting down a floppy to make an actual start-up disk. Hopefully that will work. If not I'll go get the Hard drive and and hook it up to my PC.

Thanks a lot

not a problem man. glad i could help.

post again if ther is any other questions, i am sure one of us can help you out.

and bout the shell thing in norton, idid not know u could do that in norton ,lol

sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom