Overclocking a graphics card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I'm sorry, but I am completely lost when it comes to overclocking a video card. I want to overclock my 6800 GT to ultra speeds, but I do not know how to safely do it. Anyone willing to help me out with this one?

www.guru3d.com

go to downloads section and click on OCing utilities

download coolbits 2.0

then click on it so it'll edit your registry so coolbits is enabled

then:

right click on desktop --> properties --> settings -> advanced --> GeForce 6800GT

one of the tabs on the left will give you the option to OC

click on custom OCing (or something like taht) and then go to 3d (3d is the one that matters, 2d doesn't matter) and click "detect optimal frequency"

400/1100 is the ultra speeds, so if the optimal frequency is near it, then change it to 400/1100 and you'll have ultra speeds

of course, you're gonna have to loop 3dmark05 to test that it won't artifact and download rivatuner to monitor its temperature and see that it doesn't go very high

btw, what brand do you have?

I would stop around 80 degrees ceclius. Just remeber that once you really use your GPU, heat will increase. So take that in consideration. If your at 80 degrees celcius IDLE, then once you start running the GPU, it will run around 92 degrees celcius.

So are you saying to only go to 80 celcius while idle, or are you saying to be safe and not make it go any higher than 68 or so while it is idle?

How do I get rivatuner to work? I downloaded it and extracted it, but it won't open. My computer doesn't recognize the dat file either. Any suggestions?

I seem to like coolbits a lot. It adds the overclocking option right in properties on the desktop like it is SUPPOSED to be part of your computer.

yea, coolbits is an option in your video card driver, but it isn't unlocked in the registry

the thing you downloaded unlocked the coolbits option in your registry so you can see it

btw, i dunno about your rivatuner problem

try re-dling it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom