Socket A overclocking question from newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Ok, I want to try out overclocking with some older parts so I could get a descently fast computer with little money. My roomate has a Gigabyte GA-7DXE motherboard that claims some OC ability and I looked at the website and it supports up to 2600mhz Thoroughbred.

My question is would I be able to overclock past 2600mhz or is that the limit on the motherboard. I figured I could but don't really know so could someone help me out on that.

Well I just found out that the board only has ddr2100 so I guess I can't really overclock the thing, can I?

you will be able to overclock it somewhat but not a great amount
the support is only for stock processors
you can overclock that 2600 to at least 2800 speeds

Alright that sounds good, I just wanted to do it to learn a bit and have a usable computer. Now is that the motherboard limiting me only? What I mean is if I want to get to 2800 speeds do I have to get a 2600 or would a 2200 work?

Also I could put pc2700 in there and change the cas latancy to make it run better right?

Sorry for all the questions that I know have been answered I have read into this I just don't want to buy something and sit there forever trying to make it work just to find out I got the wrong thing.

If your motherboard only supports PC2100, thus putting PC3200 in it, your board will Underclock it at PC2100 speeds. But if you only want to use PC2700 so you can OC more. That will work, because the RAM can handle faster speeds then PC2100.

Dont forget Gigabyte's arent good for OC. So dont expect to much. You can use any kind of processor to hit 2800 speeds. If your using a 2600, you will have to OC less. Opposed to using a 2200. Just dont forget that heat will be a big issue. The more you OC, the more heat you will inherit. So make sure you have some type of temperature monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom