New Video Card Won't Work with Digital Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbo

Beta member
Decided to upgrade my video card. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with an integrated card, and the 1901FP model monitor. Upgraded to a SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 256M 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X. Plugged into the AGP slot, swapped out the blue analog cable for the white digital cable, booted up, and the monitor never got past some testing message. Something about an analog signal test. A multi colored square continued to float across the monitor.
Shut everything down, and went back to the blue analog cable. Booted up and all went normally. The PC recognizes the card in device manager. But why can't I run it in digital mode? Thank you.

Have you tried looking in your monitor settings to see if it is set not to use the digital cable?

Not really sure, but you should:

>Check to make sure in your bios "Unit Display First" is set to "AGP"
>Check motherboard manual (if you can find one ...shitty dell) and see if you need to alter a jumper on the motherboard to use the card
>If none of this works... get into windows, and look around Control Panel - Display - Settings(TAB) - Advanced and see if theres an option for the DVI instead of the analog.
>Have you tried just switching the cabled while already in windows? Most of the time both are active even if one isn't being used - this may help you as well.

Either way - Good Luck!

z3phyr04, yes, I switched the monitor from analog to digital. But, after doing so, I am now receiving an error message that reads,
"2: Digital Input
In Power Save Mode
Press Any Key on Keyboard or Move Mouse"
Well, when I do this nothing happens and the monitor remains black.
And if I then switch back to analog mode and use the blue analog cable, the monitor works just fine.
By the way, don't know if this matters, but in Device Manager, under Display Adapters, two listings are present for my video card. One is "Radeon 9600 Series", and the other is "Radeon 9600 Series - Secondary".
Alex81388, I did make the switch in the BIOS from Auto to AGP. Made no difference. It is presently in AGP.
Thank you

Have you ever solved this problem? I have the identical problem with my Dell 8400 and a 1802FP monitor. I still don't have the DVI cable working after a year! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes. For me, it was a bad monitor. After much research I uncovered the fact that a known issue exists with my specific model monitor. For some reason the digital input wouldn't work. I contacted Dell and they immediately shipped me a new, (refurb, actually, but it works fine), monitor and the problem was fixed.
So maybe you have a similar solution awaiting you? Check out Dell's forums, and you may find some help there. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom