IE slower than molasses in January!!! ARGH!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenmadtaoist

In Runtime
After the last couple days I am beyond frustrated :angry: !!!!

My IE decided to become slower than a snail after the last security upgrade. I tried uninstalling it (security upgrade), I tried repair, I tried re-installing it.. nothing is making a difference... I know that it's not my DSL as Netscape and other applications have no problem with net access and are just as speedy as usual.

I've run virus scans... no viruses. Cleared all files/cache. It also doesn't matter if I have my fire wall up or down. And I've noticed it spending alot of time detecting proxy settings, but I checked my internet connection and it's still the origional configuration so I am at a bit of a loss as to WTF is wrong with it.... There are certain sites I frequent that are only completely functional in IE so this is a great source of aggrivation for me. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes it's 98SE ....

I personally hate both IE and netscape. Anyhow, what version of IE is this? If it's not the latest, you might want to upgrade to that. As well, there is a newish browser called Mozilla Firebird. (Not the regular Mozilla browser...though it will be soon). Visit mozilla.org and download the Firebird beta...it loads most IE (haven't found any that don't work personally) optimized websites they way the should look...you'd be surprised. And it keeps the IE simplicity factor with a built in popup blocker, tabbed browsing and you get to stay away from what Microsoft created. :)

I have Firebird. And regular Mozilla... They don't work on the sites I require them to either :( The IE I am currently using is 6, with all updates...

it looks like all you can do is reinstall 98 or try using another browser. this is the reason i never update windows. was wondering....would it fix it if you upgrade to the newset version of IE (unless you already have it)?

IE 6 is the latest version I believe, which is what I have. First time that an update has screwed up something but I guess there's a first time for everything. Thanks for trying to help. I'll just put up with it for now as everything else is running smoothly on here.

Well, I figured I'd give it one last shot so I went looking for the direct download of the last security update from Microsoft. Downloaded it manually and rebooted and now it's back up to par :) Zipping along like a cheetah! Maybe the security patch I received initially through the windows update page was corrupted? Thanks for putting up with my caterwauling! Thought you'd all like to know things are all good now!

:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom