LCD monitors for games?

Who all quit diablo 2 after the 1.10 patch came out?

• I quit, its boring without hacks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was waiting for the hackers to leave!

• I love diablo2! Ill never quit!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Area

Baseband Member
Thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have seen reviews on Tom's Hardware that strongly recommend the Iiyama AS4821DT (I'm looking for 19" minimum). There's also an AU4831D with the same 19" screen and a higher main resolution (1600x1200 vs 1280x1024) and I was wondering about that one.

Main requirements would be a DVI in (might as well start using the DVI OUT on my video card at last!) and good games performance - I accept that not many people think they can keep up with CRT's for the action games, but I'm willing to sacrifice a litlle performance for the other benefits (just not TOO much)

So, recommendations please?

LCD's awesome, go for it
i have one, altho its a 15' i did pay 666 dollars for it Canadian, but yea, heh go for it!

id like a nice CHEAP 17' monitor

to bad i dont have the hundreds of dollars for one :(

unless anyone wants to give me one for a xmas gift :D

NEC MultiSync LCD1765

LCD1765_left_big.jpg

mm...does she come with it?

Actually I read in a magazine that CRT's are better for gaming becuase of the multi-million color pallete. Games actually look better on a CRT, but LCD's are cool too though

Grey Area said:
Thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have seen reviews on Tom's Hardware that strongly recommend the Iiyama AS4821DT (I'm looking for 19" minimum). ...............

ya you need a dvi port on your videocard if you really want to see what the lcd can do. by all means, if you can afford a 1600x1200 res 19" lcd.. get one!;)

I can afford it, but my question is not about whether it wil look cool, but whether it will do the job. The response time on the AS model is 25 ms, but on the AU model is 30ms. From what I read this is going to cause problems with afterglow and trailing. I was really looking for an opinion from someone who's switched to LCD monitors and can give me their honest view on how they perform in games.

Statistics, articles, magazines, websites, they all base they're "CRTs are better for gaming" opinions off of the technology design. Think for yourself, stop basing your opinion off what you read. I've compared LCDs versus CRTs...when viewing a game at low res on a CRT, it looks terrible, but on an LCD, they look better, and you couldn't tell a difference.

Anyone I've talked to has sat beside me with the same "CRTs are better for gaming" and ended up changing their mind saying "Well its just what I heard from a friend/website/magazine." Now it does all come down to opinion. Some will like the looks of a CRT more or less than an LCD. Technology wise, CRTs were designed to handle more graphical application, but it doesn't mean they actually do handle better...yes they do, but the majority of people who compare crt versus lcd end up choosing lcd. Lots of people saying that if you get an LCD you need to get a 17" or less to keep the response time at 16ms for gaming, but I've seen 19" and 21" (25ms and 30ms) running perfectly with games.

LCDs are the way to go, what with dropping prices, more comfortability, more space, mobile/not so heavy, don't generate as much heat or use as much energy, no radiation and better for the eyes, and they just look better(in most people's opinions who've compared"...and they get the job done and then some...hands down, I'm getting an LCD.

It really depends on the LCD ur using. A response time of 25 ms or more is not at all good for gaming, and that is a known fact, and heres why.
When u move, say a soldier in WarCraft from one spot to the next, u see that he is moving becoz of the redrawing of the pixels that define the character. If ur response time is slow, then u'll see a trailing effect, and ghosting during gameplay, for the simple fact that its taking a longer time to redraw the character.

I'm using an LCD now and while it takes some getting used to, games do look awsome on it. Also if you watch movies or anything on it, somehow the bad quality is smoothed out by the moniter, it's great :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom