Porgrams going missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
I only really noticed this today but Internet Explorer & Outlook Express were moved from my start bar. Outlook Express was also taken off as the default mail client. I also notice my calculater has gone missing from accessories...

I cant find the iexplore.exe and msimn.exe programs anywhere however they still do work...

I'm running Wndows XP...

Any dieas why they are missing?

I ran a virus scan the other day... I also installed the fax program using the windows XP cd... The only other thing I have done is downloaded the latest windows update... I'll do another virus scan now...

Are you the administrator? If so, then I don't know why, but if not, then try logging in under administrator in safe mode, and see if they're there. Someone else (I'm not sure if you're the power user on your computer) may be chaning this, as they might have higher power permissions. Also, what have you changed on your computer lately? Have you installed new programs? etc..

-SkyHi

Nope, I'm the admin.... Thanks for the idea though :)

Like I said

I installed the fax program using the windows XP cd.
I also installed the latest Windows Update...

Don't trust one A/V, is what i suggest. I'd say to use some free online scans, I trust my avg but not enough to never use online ones. It's free, so why not?
Run a checkdisk. Also the files you are missing can easily be downloaded back to your computer. (google them)

Sounds like someone went into >> add/remove programs >> add/remove windows components and uninstalled some windows accessories from there. Go into the accessory section of >> add/remove windows components and see if the items are checked. If not then they were unistalled. A quick reinstall using your windows disc will fix it.

Oh dear... I think I know now... When I installed the fax program it came up with a box listing what programs I could install... I thought I had to untick the ones I didn't want "re-install" (i thought it was re-install anyway).

So do I jsut need to insert my XP CD and tick the porgrams that need to be re-installed?

The ones that aren't ticked are removed from my system if they are installed?

Is that correct?

Tick the boxes you want to reinstall, you may be asked for your XP disc. The ones that are already checked should remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom