is my motherboard screwed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasyn

Beta member
my old computer's cpu died and it was still under warranty so i went ahead and got a new one from AMD. the old computer got replaced with a new motherboard & cpu .. and i'm trying to build a new system with the old motherboard that had the old AMD cpu on it which died. the problem now is that during the bootup process where it shows what cpu you have and the memory test and you have the option to press DEL to enter the BIOS setup, my keyboard does not work & it freezes on that screen after the memory test. i kno the keyboard functions as it lights up prior to the bootup process, but once frozen on that screen it ceases to function (can't press caplock or num lock or scroll lock). oddly enough, the screen shows that the cpu is an AMD ATHLON XP 1800+, but what is really in there is an AMD ATHLON XP 2400+. what could be the problem? did the motherboard just die as well with the old cpu?

I am not really sure, but I'd say to update or flash the BIOS? Might be something as simple as that and your motherboard just doesn't know what's going on.

Wayniac said:
I am not really sure, but I'd say to update or flash the BIOS? Might be something as simple as that and your motherboard just doesn't know what's going on.

how do i plan on doing that if i can't access the BIOS in the first place to change the boot sequence?

could it possibly be my hard drive? i kno after the memory test it searches for what drives are available on the system .. and that part doesn't show up. the hard drive is an oldie .. i forget if it broken or not .. last time i tried to put it into the old system (because i thought the hd was malfunctioned instead of the cpu) and it had windows xp loaded onto it so i don't think the hd is broken. :(

anyone else with some info?

Take all unnecessary cards and drives out and tryo rebooting with the BARE MINIMUM. I mean your bootable HDD, and video card. Sounds like a conflict to me.

Good idea pctech86. Yeah, go and try to boot with the bare minimum. That should eliminate boot sequence problems. Also, could it maybe be a problem like something is set to "master" when it should be "slave". I don't know... I was just throwing ideas out there.

Yep, because if it is going through POST and the screen is "detecting drives" then it is most likely a conflict. I don't know exactly what is happening since i can't see the computer directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom