About to Overclock......need advice and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really quite simple, the HTT speed has to communicate with the RAM speed equally or else they will bottleneck one another.

Imagine you are travelling down a road (the HTT speed) that has a speed limit of 100km/h, but your engine (the RAM speed) is only capable of going 80km/h. See how one slows the other down?

That is why when I break out my Venice I will most likely be lowering the multiplier to 9x or 8x and pumping up the HTT speed since I am quite certain my CPU speed will quit before my Rev2s are satisfied with a 10x multi. More bandwidth. :)

Wayniac said:
My mobo is an NVIDIA nForce 3 Ultra K8N Neo2. I got it so that I could run an AMD Athlon 3000+ socket 939. But anyway, are you saying that I only want to OC a lot if my RAM can't keep up, or are you just saying that it'd be faster if I OC, but even better if my RAM could keep up and I could keep the ratio 1:1?

wtf???

it says you got an intel

Where are you reading the word Intel anywhere? I didn't make the original post... I just added a question.

no overclock is b.s.

ram does not come cheaper than what i have i have no name brand ram and ive overclocked my 1.8ghz p-4 to 2.2ghz so dont give that kind of b.s. he just wont be able to overclock as much as if he had high end ram

diabloII said:
you have low end ram, so don't think about OCing

also, your ram is running at ddr333, so it'll be more beneficial to replace that ddr333 stick with a ddr400 stick (if your mobo supports ddr400)

Ok, fair enough my Ram is the $hits even though i thought Kingston Ram was half decent(priced at $200 canadian for 512). Would replacing my generic ram with another 512 Kingston DDR400 PC3200 do any good for overclocking my computer? I've read reviews on my mobo (ASUS P4PE) and i got the immpression it was a good Mobo to O.C (lots of O.C features). So am i screwed??Or did i just waste my money buying more Ram and a new heatsink for nothing? Thanks :(

$200 cad for that????

is it value ram??

if it's value ram, it's worth about $50CAD (converted from 40USD), assuming you guys pay a little more, it's worth no more than $60-70CAD

even if it's the highest end 'hyperX' ram, it's about $80CAD at most

where did you buy your ram?

and yes, if your mobo supports ddr400, upgrading from ddr333 to ddr400 will be way more beneficial than an overclock

btw, aspire, no overclock just meant very little overclock, or not enough to justify the risk of OCing

wow you paid that much!?!?!?
i got my $hit ram for 40 bucks u.s. a stick for pc2700
fairly god timings too. they are 2, 3, 3, 6
also you really wont notice a gynormous difference thell be some but not really worth that cost
mobo is actually quite good
and that heatsink is very good and will serve you well
my guess is that you should be able to hit at least 2.8ghz and probly 3 ghz

$100 for 1g of TwinMOS, doesn't get much better than that, with a DFI board they'll be awesome since they can OC quite well

So thats what i'm asking if i up grade my generic Ram to Kingston Ram. SHould i even attempt to O.C. Will it be worth it???? I'm not gonna overclock my machine from 2.4 (which it is now) to 2.6.....I agree it won't be worth the risk...... :(:(:(:( Thanks Again......
BTW - bought the Ram at Future Shop/ with mail in rebate it actually cost me around 150$.

not really ALL that risk involved and like i said you should be able to hit at least 2.8 ghz which aint that bad of an overclock.
So in my humble opinion i think you should go ahead and overclock and unless you have plenty of money you really shouldnt need to upgrade your ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom