Windows Boot - Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

Solid State Member
I have a problem, I know it has to do something with the boot.ini which is located in Startup and Recovery. But I cannot find the solution to this boot problem. The error pops up before advancing to the windows boot screen. Such as "Please select an operating system to start." The following options have it to boot to "Windows XP Professional" or "Windows XP Professional (Original)." In addition, I have one hard drive partitioned into two. I installed Windows XP Professional with SP2.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Original)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thank you.

Go to Start / Run / type MSCONFIG / go to the boot.ini tab / click Check all boot paths and more than likely, one of those are invalid. When it finds it, it will ask you if you either want to delete it or remove it. Let me know if it works.

It appears that all boot paths are fine. To what my destinction of the two boot are XP Professiona or XP Professional (Original)?

You can also change the time it displays mulitple operating systems to 1 sec, instead of the default 30 in the control panel, advanced, startup and recovery.

Yeah, but I don't want to ignore the issue, I want to know what the problem is. I was wondering what is Windows XP Professional (Original)?

Set the one you want to default so that it boots to it first...move it up or down..does it give you the option to delete it..

Well I deleted it in notepad which was multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Original)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn and it worked fine. Actually whether I boot the other, it would work fine as well. So now, it boots properly, I think it needed to know which boot OS it had to boot to. But my concern is which is the proper one. For now I am booting with multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn. I will check if my other computer boots to the same boot file.

--

does it give you the option to delete it..

--

Well I don't think it has a option of deleting the file, however, I could delete it manually using notepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom