Benchmark programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Okay, basic question: what exactly does a benchmark program do? How does it work? And, what's a good one? Thanks

Depends on the benchmarking application. For example, 3Dmark takes your machine through a variety of game simulations and measures the FPS and uses that number to calculate a score.

Bandwidth and other such programs basically stress the connection so to speak and measure the bandwidth of it. Consider it like measuring the pressure of a hose.

Its a way to compare your system performance to other system's performance. It can also be used to compare before/after system configurations, ie: before and after an OC.

It works by running a stress test on a computer and seeing how well it takes it.

For 3D/gaming performance, go to www.futuremark.com and get 3Dmark03 or 05.

So then, the Counterstrike Source "Stress test" would be kind of a benchmark type thing? It currently shows that I run at about 90 fps, if I OC the gpu, will I most likely run at even higher fps's?

yes, there will be a difference, but not a noticeable difference

currently i get around 93fps on all high/reflect/4aa/16af on stress test (css) and i'm happy with that, so no need for OCing for me

You can't analyize more than 30-40 fps, anything above that is just for bragging rights (but those are worth a lot)

DJ Chris is right, just doesnt articulate it the right way.While its true the human eye can only detect framerates as high as 20-30fps, games running at higher framerates are much more fluid feeling, you wont notice it most of the time, but like say for example, you are in a FPS game and you back up and turn quickly left or right,while doing this look out into the distance of the scene, at higher framerates the movement will be more fluid and natural looking.The effect is alot more pronounced at high resolutions.You notice it alot in flight sims when turning the plane quickly in most of the flight sims ive used, 60fps is alot more fluid feeling and looking than 35-40, and some games get downright syruppppy smooooooooth at 120fps or better.

lol cs source runs so smooth. i play it 1280X960 (at 1280X1024 my screen can only do 60 but at 1280X960 it can do 70) 6XAA 16XAF 96 fps

this review i read said u needed a X800 to run it propperly im thinking WTF??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom