80gb showing 70gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
killians45 said:
Its because a difference in calculations. Manufacturers usually consider (probably for profit reasons and knowing the normal public doesn't know the difference) 1 KB to be equal to 1000 bytes. The ACTUAL size, in decimal, is 1 kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes. Now increase the to GB (losing 24 bytes per kb adds up) and thats where the lost space is. I can do a chart, or just google it to explain it for you.

thats often the case too, but the filesystem inodes take a chunk of space too

just check capacity before and after formatting, fdisk will show true capacity when partitoning a drive or after its already been done

This has someting to do with the way they are advertised, people not realizing that 1024 megs, for example, is 1 gig not 1000 megs. Same is for bytes to kilobytes, kilobytes to megabytes.

So in reality, you never lose anything, it was never there to begin with, though really, it is just false advertising.

Shumway said:
Losing 10 gig from an 80 gig is quite a bit,With my western digital 80 i only lost about 6 gig and that was even after i put my operating system on it.

I am betting your hard drive's size is 74.4 gigs correct?

That is the size of my 80gig seagate why don't they advertise
the real size or put more space on so you can get what you advertise it also pissed me off whe my 256mg jumpdrive was short by 20mb.

killians45 said:
Its because a difference in calculations. Manufacturers usually consider (probably for profit reasons and knowing the normal public doesn't know the difference) 1 KB to be equal to 1000 bytes. The ACTUAL size, in decimal, is 1 kilobyte is equal to 1024 bytes. Now increase the to GB (losing 24 bytes per kb adds up) and thats where the lost space is. I can do a chart, or just google it to explain it for you.

this is the reason. an 80 gig is actually 74.5 gig

yeah I know, you really think people would have a lawsuit on their hands since realistically it is false advertising.

my hard drive is 186.2 gigs, it is sold as a 200 gig drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom