Healthy temps for OC'd GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Alrighty, just did my first OC on my 6600GT, upped it from 500mhz to 520. Question: what's a good temp for the gpu to be running at? At stock clocking it runs at around 60 degrees celcius, at OC it runs around 70 degrees. Are these healthy temps? If not, what are some good cooling solutions? BTW: I only got around another 3 Fps's on Counterstrike Source, is this the expected gain after adding 20mhz? Thanks for any help!

my 6800gt oced 410/1110 is 52/3 idle, not shur on temp yet, havnt maxed it. in game, it dont get over few degree 60.

i use nv5.

the gt series can take lots of heat tho, if its 60-70 under load, it wont hurt ur cpu, but u can always get a new cooler if u want, my temps went down considerably wth nv5, and its way more silent.

my 6600GT when oc'd to 564 would hit 80c....thermal shutdown isn't until like 145C and I know hygors was hitting over 100C until he got better cooling, so upwards of 85C should be fine although I'd still look into better cooling.

For load temps you either need to have a 2nd screen or use rivatuners hardware monitor because it'll show a line graph of your temps throughout gaming or benching.....some people don't know but the very second the GPU stops drawing frames it'll drop 10C isntantly, so you can't just quit a game and quickly go to the temp screen and assume that's your load temp.

EDIT: Oh yeah what settings were you using in CS:S.....20Mhz isn't THAT huge of an increase, but you really should use like 3dmark03 to really notice whether or not your OC did anything

Well, I have all the settings on high in CSS. Is there a freeware version of 3dBench? Cause right now, I'm doing the following:
1. OC
2. Stress test 3 times
3. Check temp in display properties. I get about 103 FPS and when I check the temp it is at about 70C then drops.

3dmark 01, 03, and 05 are all free to download

You can buy it and it basically lets you change resolution and all that, but that'd be pointless being that no one ever has the bought version and it keeps everybody testing the same settings.

I say 3dmark03 for testing, or even 05 because those test the GPU primarly whereas 01 will test your system as a whole and you won't really notice how much of a difference your OC made

By the time you get to the temp in display properties after closing down the bench it drops 10C instantly dude....as I said in my previous post you need to open rivatuner hardware monitor, THEN open your benching program, when you close it down it shows a line graph of your temps during the whole course of benching and when you put your mouse over it, it tells you the temp exactly....chances are it's hitting 80C

i'm hitting 67C load (this is using my extreme cooling setup [a.k.a. removing 2 pci slot covers :D])

if i clean the fan, i can probably lower it 4C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom