WinMX has suddenly gone slow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble99

Beta member
Not sure if this is in the right section but I have a dilemma..

My WinMX for the past 4/5 days takes about 2-3minutes connecting up and then takes a long period of time to start downloading and then I'm getting a 0.00/0.15kbs download speed.

Now, I'm on Cable Broadband and have ZoneAlarm Pro and WinMX in the past has worked fine...
I thought it could be ZoneAlarm causing the problem (even though it hasn't before) so I went to the extent of completely deleting it and WinMX still didn't work..

I tried re-installing the program yet still no luck.

I'm networked so I tried dis-connecting it and yet again it still runs slow.
I've ran a full system scan with Norton, which found nothing. My hard drive has 18gb of space free and I'm totally baffled.

Does anyone have a clue what's happening here? It's seems as if I only have this problem!

BTW- I'm on Windows XP Home Edition, 2.2ghz Processor, 512mb Ram. Have all the Windows Updates etc...

Anyone help?

Cheers...

spdf if you cannot help someone please refrain from posting messages like these that serve no purpose other than disrupting the topic.

Treble99 did you try re-installing winMX? how many downloads are in your queue? it might be if you have too many files queued it effects performance of winMX. just deleting al queued files may not work. you might have to move all files out of the winmx downlods folder to somewhere else

ekÆsine ...

Do you mean how many files do I have in my music folder and queued as in incomplete files?
I have tried re-installing WinMX too...
So your saying I should move all my music into another directory?

yes that is what i am asking you. i do not know which folders winMX uses to store the files it completes and which folder it uses to store the files it is still trying to get from other users. try moving the music files to another place and see what happens.

try deleting everything in your winmx download queue and move all the files from the winMX temporary folder and finished downloads folder to somewhere else.

Yep I have done that but I noticed a strange happening.

When coming across to deleting an incomplete (queued) file, it said it could not be deleted because it was already running by another program. Now I checked and WinMX, Media Player or any other application was running which could of played this.

I checked again and it could not be deleted. I download Trojan Remover which deleted it completely for me. I ran a full system scan with that, Norton and Ad-Aware and re-started my machine and there was still no luck...

I'm really baffled..

The help is much appreciated btw..

Is your norton up to date??

I have a similar 2 minutes connexion problem with kazaa light but it downloads normally, if you can connect at normal speed I would not say that it is the number of files the problem, but i'm no winMX expert, I don't know if it looks for your files before it connex to the server.

Is your normal internet browsing speed normal??

It's now fixed.

My connection speed was normal, and my download speed were slow and today I lost connectivity to my internet. I rang them up and they totally gave me the wrong information so I took a look on Nthell forums and they said that the lines are influctuating alot of power and bandwidth to the main service/supply or something like that.
And a few minutes ago, they said it was fixed. I put WinMX back on and started searching and presto, the files were downloading at 35/40kb per second :D

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom