networking two laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

devlish96

Daemon Poster
to all networking gurus....

how do i network two laps ?....netcards are connected via crossover cable...both are running xp pro. somehow...i both laps detect each other but i cant access one laptop thru the other...

how do i set it up correctly?

thanks in advance

Well im not sure, But windows ocme with a netowrking dealio where u install a network app on each computer so that they both have the info to be conected, you can create the network when installing the OS.

But you should be able to see each other trhough netowrk places, and well all you have to do is set up some shared folders if you want too and do it that way.

i am not entirly sure, but i WILL find out for devlish, just give me a chance to walk upstairs and ask my teacher :)

its easy to network two computers together
all you need is a hub and two networks cables
make sure that the drivers are properly installed on both laptops and then just plug them in and windows should configure it all automatically
you may need to go to dial up and network connections and creat a new connection called incoming connections

It usually asks you if you want to set up a network, giving instructions as you go along.. You must also share the drives / folders that you want the other computer to be able to access..

yes, and if you want to set up a network drive simply create a folder, right click on it and under the sharing tab click share

D94 the crossover cable is enough, you do not need a hub since crossover cables have transmit and receiving wires "crossed over".

devlish96 make sure you run the networking wizard. it is found in the list on the right in network neighborhood or you can find it in the control panel> network connections.

after you run the wizard make sure you do not have winXP firewall enabled. this is found in control panel> network connections also. right click the connection that is used to connect you to the other machine and select properties from the context menu. example, 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller.

this brings up it's properties, under the advanced tab disable winxp firewall (ICF). you should than be able to see the default network shares in network neighborhood. example, "shared on WORKCOMP-LS216". all you need to do sfterwards is right click on folders you want to share and set permissions. you can do the same for printers and other devices.

it was a combination of your advice about the firewall, etc...and a lot of persistence:)

and there was also conflict created by using different adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom