Please post your HDD temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty Close to Absolute Zero (-273.14 °C)

I can't achieve true absolute zero which is -273.15 °C due to The Third Law of Thermodynamics which states that True Absolute Zero is impossible to achieve because of the lack of a perfect insulator. In With the absence of a perfect insulator, the heat
would be finite (and) the work required would, therefore, be infinite.

Actually i'm full of it. About 45 °C to 55 °C with Zalman 7700cu & Artic Silver 5.

LOL - I just realized we are talking about HDD's here. NOt CPU's oops..

lol. I'm not too keene in physics, but it does interest the hell out of me, and i would like to know stuff in it. What would be considered a perfect insulator? Or is that not known, hence the acheivment of Kelvin being impossible?

P.P. Mguire said:
mine is cold actually. i just put my hand on it and all i felt was cold steel. i have 2 Thermaltake smart fan 2's on it and its all good to me!

BASIC COMPUTER THERMOPDYNAMICS:
If you have ever played pool, you're very familiar with how when a pool ball hits another pool ball, it transfers it's energy to the second pool ball. When heat causes molecules to vibrate, they transfer energy between each other in a similar fashion. This action is called "conduction".

Now picture the CPU of a computer cooking away because the designer wants to push too much power through a small piece of silicon. If we don't take away that heat as fast as it's created, that CPU will fry!

The problem is usually solved by mounting a heat sink on the CPU. Conduction causes the heat to move from the hot CPU to the cooler heat sink. Because air doesn't conduct heat as well as metal, We apply a thin layer of heat sink compound between the CPU and the heat sink to fill in any gaps.

You'll notice that a heat sink has fins on it. The fins allow the heat sink to conduct the heat to the air adjacent to the fins. The fins provide more surface area to aid in conduction. Eventually the adjacent air will get as hot as the heat sink and conduction will cease.

If we move the air away from the heat sink, it will take the heat energy with it. A fan mounted on the heat sink is used to move the air. This method of heat transfer is called convection. Eventually all the air inside the computer case will get hot, so fans are used to blow the air out of the case of the computer.

The heat has moved from the CPU, to the heat sink, to the air inside the case, to the air in the room where you're sitting at your computer desk. The room starts to get hot, and eventually the air conditioner turns on.

Why are all your HDD's so hot? I dont even have Cooling on my HDD and its running at 27 degrees Celcius. :/

Im about to have more, I just pulled the trigger on a cheap mobo and sempron,so another system is coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom