Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ-CHRIS

Golden Master
I use serial ports currently for 2 things right now. I am annoyed at new stuff not having them.

1: Telnet into routers such as my cisco's
2: Connection to radio scanners

And in the future, 3, Connecting to GPS devices.

i dont, i used to use one for a cable to connect to my mobile about 4 or 5 years ago but thats about it. I think they are all moving to usb now.

DJ-CHRIS said:
I use serial ports currently for 2 things right now. I am annoyed at new stuff not having them.

1: Telnet into routers such as my cisco's
2: Connection to radio scanners

And in the future, 3, Connecting to GPS devices.

Are you talking about laptops? I realize laptops are starting to drop them, but I have yet to see a desktop that doesn't have one.

A few newer mobo's I have seen dont have them, doesnt the DFI not have them, but I think it has serial headers instead.

Oh well laptops are where you REALLY need them.

Hell no, stopped using serial when I cant away my first external modem. My dad has a GPS, and that uses USB. It is a rather cheap one, too.

Some MoBo's come with them onboard, but not usually. They come with a little connector that fits in the card slot on your case and plugs into some pins on the MoBo.

The cable I have for my cell phone is USB, but the computer picks it up as PCI. It is such a ***** to get working. Has that prolific chip, does somethign with stuff.

Yes, but only for programming a robotics controller. Heh heh, it is unfortunate for those that do not have them, adapters are not nearly as cheap as one might think, plus they run even slower than standard serial :)

The only time I have ever used a serial port, was for a hand held pc, that didn't have anything else.

On big managed routers, there is a serial port on the front of it. You can get into it and change whatever the hell you want on them. Smart, they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom