fan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsavageboy

In Runtime
ok i leave my computer on over night. i was woken up by a loud fan. it sounded like it was running 4x as fast as it should have. this is my cpu fan. i shut down my computer and then tested the fan. nothing. it wont spin now. i got out a voltage tester and tested the connects on the mobo. nothing. is my motherboard fried or something. please help.

Usually a lound fan means it is on it's way out. The bearings are dying, or the sleeves are all but worn, whathaveyou. I'm suprised your computer even turned on without a cpu fan plugged in. Usually your computer will yell at you, saying something about no CPU fan attached. That may be why you got no voltage, because there was nothing hooked up to it. Try a different fan, should work.

i dont really have acces to another fan. it did yell at me but not that there wasnt a fan. it said fan failure detected or something to that nature. and went on its merry way. kinda strange. in the mean time i have a little fan keeping it at an ok temp and im not doing alot. trying to keep temps down.

also it wasnt a loud noise like bad bearings. i know what bad bearings sound like. it just sounded like it was spinning extremly fast.

Yeah I know, you are not going to hear a the normal "Bad bearings" noise from a fan that you would hear elsewhere. When a fan gets lound, it is dying. Not because it is running to fast. The bearings in those fans are so small, when they go, all you hear is the sound of the fan spinning without any bearings. Whihc is very loud.

The error you got was the same thing as I was talking about. You have a little fan, do you have a heatsink on there too? I would get a new CPU fan ASAP! Do not wait on that. It may be good now, but in a few hours it might not be. Take some money, go get a new one. It would be in your best interest to not use that computer until you get a new HSF for the cpu.

it has a heatsink on it. it has been running for a couple hours like this but ya i think im gonna shut it down soon. just dont wanna burn something up. thanx for the help.

Welcome. I would turn it off asap, as you could be doing damage to your CPU as we speak. Better to be safe than sorry.

Got a credit card? If you do, www.pricewatch.com is a nice list of private vendors who sell new and used stuff on the very cheap. i bet you could get a stock hsf on there for wicked cheap.

Good luck, hope you dont burn anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom