Motherboard Suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.
try to get one for rebates and then file for the rebate :D

i did that with my old kingston ram at circuit city

i bought the ram (it didn't work) but before i returned it, i already filed for the $70 rebate

and guess what?

i got the rebate!

free $70 :D

Not sure about rebates, I live in the UK. Statutory buyers rights here are that you can return an item within 28 days ( assuming there is a problem with it, and what are they gonna do, check it in a PC? Don't think so.. ) and get a full refund. Sometimes they don't even check the contents of the box.. ;o)

Rebates are supposed to request that you remove your upc and send that to them so that you can't return the item AND get the rebate. But hey, if it worked..

OK folks, hereÂ’s the results:

Components ( see original post for specs ):
CPU, PCI graphics card, memory, PSU 400W. All tested independently and working fine.

Setup:
Motherboard outside case on anti-static material ( no shorting problem ). Mouse and keyboard plugged in.

Testing:
Cleared CMOS. Powered on with nothing on the motherboard ( apart from CPU! ). Then tried all combinations of slots for PCI graphics card and all slots for memory.

Result: No change from original symptoms.

IÂ’ve yet to try an AGP card but donÂ’t hold out much hope. IÂ’ll try this as a very last resort before I send the boys round to the sellers addressÂ… ;o)

Hi All! You wonÂ’t believe how, but I managed to get it working..! After clearing the CMOS and not getting any joy, I made the assumption that the CMOS had correctly reverted to itÂ’s defaults. I was also pretty damn sure (99.99%!) that all the components were 100% ok and there werenÂ’t any compatibility problems with the motherboard and components. The only thing left in the chain was the flash rom itself. Just for laugh I levered out the rom chip and cleaned all of the contacts on the chip with a bit of emery paper. I shoved it back in, turned on the power and hey presto, that single BIOS beep was music to my ears, and she booted up! After 4 days of headaches, all it turned out to be was a dry contact..! ;o)) One to make note of..!

Thanks for all of your input,
Salvatore.

Yes, it was certainly a long shot, especially with the BIOS chip normally so tightly seated, I would never have believed a bad contact could have occurred! Thanks again everyone for your input.

Cheers,
Salvatore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom