Backup Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ-CHRIS

Golden Master
Okay this post applies to freeware and payware

I am looking for a backup utility that can time backup's as well as backup from networks.

If I have a USB drive connected on my laptop, I want the program to be able to backup the USB drive locally, and if possible over the network.

I need it to backup a WHOLE bunch of stuff on my network. NAS is out of the question for a small amount of time due to the lack of extra space.

enterprise solution would be veritas

personal - backzip
BackZip is a simple file backup program that stores backups in standard ZIP format or as normal (uncompressed) files. The backup sets can be stored locally, on a mapped network drive, or on an FTP server. It offers various options to select the files that should be included (by mask, extension etc.) and also lets you limit zip compression to specific file extensions. In addition, you can choose to only backup the files that have changed since the last backup or copy only files that are newer than a matching file in the target directory. Other features include timestamped backup files, support for multiple backup jobs and more. BackZip does not include any scheduling features, however it does support commandline parameters, which allows you to run it via Windows Task Scheduler or other 3rd party scheduling tools.

Yeah, totally Veritas for network wide backups. I use Dantz Retrospect backup for my personal stuff, works really well. It comes with the Maxtor OneTouch backup drives. It works really well, and does not take too long. I would check that out as well.

Yeah i was checking that one out, since I do have a maxtor one touch im using now (well it isnt mine but meh)

Word.

A feature I reallly like about Retrospect (I dont know if it is an option in other backup programs, or a standard in all backup programs) is that when you want to back up your whole system, you can set it to scan your computer and backup files that were ONLY created by the user. So it wouldnt backup any system files, or any other file created by Windows. It's cool, good way to save space on a system wide backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom