XBOX 360 pics and info

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh...

well these are netechnology we haven't seen yet

anyways, computer gaming > console anyday

Don't worry man, I am sure the flame war will be on by tomorrow :)

If there is anything good to come out of the new Xbox, it's this:

. In this model, the Xbox Live gamer could purchase or possibly download for free a "pilot" game. Much in the same way we have seen shareware work for id software, but you put out the pilot before the entire game is produced. After the pilot, the game publisher could decide whether or not the title is worth investing more money in.

Very nice idea.

And though unexpected, this may well be a good choice. The particular PowerPC CPU in the Xbox 360 has 1 MB of L2 cache and three cores clocked at 3.2 GHz each. Each core runs two threads for a total of six. At this, Holmdahl explained that six threads essentially meant that six applications could be running at once. Audio could be handled by one thread, artificial intelligence on another, and so on. "This allows developers to pick and choose what they want to focus the consoles power on. We consider it a future proof design." Since a CPU of that power will generate a lot of heat, Microsoft also chose a vacuum sealed water cooled heatsink to manage heat.

The GPU is also a custom processor, designed by ATI. It is clocked at 500 MHz and has a 3D Logic DRAM (10MB) chip embedded directly in it. The GPU also features 48 unified shaders, which can be used as either vertex or pixel units.

Xbox 360 System Performance
Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU * 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
* 2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
* 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
* 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
* 1 MB L2 cache
CPU Game Math Performance * 9 billion dot product operations per second
Custom ATI Graphics Processor * 500 MHz
* 10 MB embedded DRAM
* 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
* Unified shader architecture
Polygon Performance * 500 million triangles per second
Pixel Fill Rate * 16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA
Shader Performance * 48 billion shader operations per second
Memory * 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
* 700 MHz DDR
* Unified memory architecture
Memory Bandwidth * 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
* 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
* 21.6 GB/s front-side bus
Overall System Floating-Point Performance * 1 TFLOP
Storage * Detachable and upgradeable 20 GB hard drive
* 12X dual-layer DVD-ROM
* Memory unit support starting at 64 MB
I/O * Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers
* 3 USB 2.0 ports
* 2 memory unit slots

Uh, those specs arent anything to dismiss lightly, tri core 3.2ghz cpu, here comes the parallel multithreaded game software from the game boxes that will in turn feed the PC game makers on how to deal with multicore desktop PC's.That thing has decent internal bandwidth too, those PPC chips arent Intel or AMD, closer to what went into Apple G4's I believe, just 3 on a die.Ya its short a little on video, but keep in mind TV resolution blows chunks,so it isnt gonna matter that it doesnt have a huge VRAM and a necessarily super fast one ether.With 1 TFLOP under the hood that thing is a processing beast from hell.

Sounds to me like we are going to see a $600 to $800 gaming console. Not, sure if i'm willing to shell out that kinda cash for an XBOX. Unless they start coming up with much better games other then HALO...

r u shur those are real picks? if so perhaps it will look better in real life lol.. or mayb not.

yea, im glad i never got an Xbox. i only saw Halo2, and that was pritty good. but depending on what you compair it to, it starts looking worse and worse. after playing for example - Halflife2, Doom.

and only having 1 good game for a system is sad in my opinion.

I still have the original ps1, and would buy that over an Xbox if i didnt already have it, and if there wasnt an emulator already out for it, and if i actually wonted to buy a console system.
------------------------------------------

and someone posted above about how it doesnt need veryfast or lots of Vram, cause TV resolution is so low... thats not realy future proof cause of HDTV and probably even better furture display divices.

Uh, those specs arent anything to dismiss lightly,
lol I never said they were, and yeah I read that about it being closer to the apple, thought it said G5 actually, but yeah....it does seem to have ridiculous specs....wonder how the graphics will look on that sheeeeit....

Until we see how the R520 runs and/or the G70 then the xbox will quite possibly beat out even todays highest end gaming machines as far as graphics go.

The way that thing is being spec'd I honestly wouldn't doubt it being $1000 for it since it's a ridiculous suped up gaming computer.

They aren't going to redesign the look, I believe the articles said those are the finalized images after going through about 11 prototype looks...besides who gives a shyte what the thing looks like for god sake, I just want to see the graphics.....imagine if it's all HL2 HDR 'Lost coast' type graphics or better......that will be ridiculous

The Xbox 360 is rumoured to cost around $350-$400. MS will sell it below cost just like they did with Xbox. Most revenue comes from licensing.

If Xbox 360 will cost >$700 then PS3 will be twice that. PS3 is supposedly more powerful and uses a Blu-Ray drive. The Blu-Ray drive alone could be more than the Xbox 360 MSRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom