My UPS device didn't stop the surge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true dude. My surge supressor unit (not UPS) has a data protection/retrieval warranty. Or so they say. I am not too fond of the wording they used, but it is there in some form :confused:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Based on what I've been read, it might not have been a surge. I'm going off my family's account of what happened, so it may have been an overloaded circuit in the house.

Regardless, I'd really like to see the manufacturer honor their equipment protection warranty. It's not like I'm asking for their maximum $15,000 coverage! Just enough to recover the data and replace the hard drive, though I'm sure they'll only pay for the latter if anything at all.

I was hoping someone would have first hand experience of the PROCESS of getting equipment refunded. I guess I'm the unfortunate one to gain that exclusive knowledge. :)

Chankama said:
That's not true dude. My surge supressor unit (not UPS) has a data protection/retrieval warranty. Or so they say. I am not too fond of the wording they used, but it is there in some form :confused:
well it would HELP if i knew what brand of UPS that people are talking about there. After all, there is only a few hundred thousand computer manufacturers in the world.

I just love guessing what warranty terms and conditions that might be there when I have specifics on what the product is.

BTW, what brand of UPS are you using? I hope it was not APC.

So far so good. I talked to customer support and they're shipping me a replacement unit. The guy I spoke to has filed my claim and I should receive some paperwork within a week or two.

The guy sounded upbeat about the prospect of my hard drive being replaced, but of course that decision will have to be made by their claims department. And there should be a section in the application regarding data recovery.

He mentioned that their claims department is busy with cases, so it may be 4-6 weeks before my case is resolved. I don't want to sit on my thumbs as the warranty process drags on, so I'm going to pursue a data recovery service for my hard drive and hang on to any receipts and paperwork as proof and (hopefully) the manufacturer will reimburse me.

As for the brand, Harper, you may be on the money ...

And remeber, a 200$ Hard drive and enclosure combo is great.

200$ VS the possible loss of data

Word of advise with Warranty People -

Do Not Yell At Them.
I know you want to, but they every power just to say "No" or Delay your case. Most of the time, it delaying the case.

4 weeks seems to be a little excessive to get a yes or no answer from these guys.

Let me know the out come too as I normally recommend that brand.

DJ-CHRIS said:
200$ VS the possible loss of data

Lost of data is priceless. And it's can be almost impossible to put a value on it.
I have 2 first experences with that.

It got about 40 Gb worth of data that I constantly back up on my computer.

The balls in motion!

Today I received a replacement UPS device AND documents regarding my claim. I haven't read the documents thoroughly yet, but I'm supposed to fill them out with details pertaining to the case (similar to auto insurance) and mail them out, along with the faulty UPS device, within 30 days.

And more good news: the data recovery company was successful in retrieving the files from my fried hard drive and for much less than their high end estimate; they give you a price range for your expected cost. I'm going to try and finish that transaction so that a receipt can be included with the claims papers when I mail them back.

And thanks DJ-CHRIS, I have invested in an internal hard drive + enclosure for future backups. Amazing how much cheaper that route is than a "natural" external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom