Can't get 2.2GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangaroo

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I know I wrote the basics on overclocking, and usually people ask me what to do... but I am clueless as to why I can't reach 2.2GHz.

I currently have an AMD Athlon XP2500+ Barton (1.83GHz default with a multiplier of 11.0x). I have achieved more than 2.2GHz core before, but that was a mixture of changing the multiplier and FSB - because I only had DDR333 memory that did not like being overclocked.

Recently I invested in a nice set of 2x 512MB Elixir DDR400 CL 3.0-3-3-6 memory. I have read reviews on overclocking a XP2500+ by simply increasing the FSB from default 166MHz to 200MHz... not even touching the voltage (at 1.650V default).

Currently I have only been able to get as high as 191MHz FSB (~2.1GHz) and any higher I get artifacts, I have tried increasing the voltage to 1.675V and 1.700V but with no difference. My CPU temperature under load is only 47 degrees celsius and 33 degrees celsius system temperature.

The artifacts are severe lines on 3D Marks 2001SE on "Nature". At 190MHz FSB I see no artifacts.

FSB Spread is [Disabled].

Any ideas anyone? As I am out of them.

My system is;
ThermalTake Xaser II Aluminium Case,
AMD Athlon XP2500+ with Coolermaster Jet-7 cooling,
1024MB (2x 512MB) (DDR400) Elixir Dual Channel memory (3.0-3-3-6),
MSI K7N2-L Motherboad with nForce2 chipset,
128MB MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 (AGPx4) <- I know its old :)
Windows XP Professional (SP2)

Get around 12k+ on 3D Marks 2001SE
And more than 17k on Aquamark 3

That depends on the type of artifacts, different colour dots, or different colours altogether can mean different things.

The only problem with that is that my graphics card runs fine at 190MHz FSB and why would it run differently with a higher FSB? They are not related.

Any ideas are appreciated though :)

Yeah, AGP/PCI was the first thing I was about to ask.

If you don't have the AGP locked then you will be very limited to how far your FSB will go.

Kangaroo, I've had the same problem trying to overclock my 2500+. I've been able to get to 195 MHz FSB, but can't get to the full 200 for 2.2 GHz. If you find a solution, please post it or PM me.

diabloII said:
elixir makes crappy, crappy ram

3-3-3-6 are very bad stock timings :(

At least their not 3-4-4-8 like alot of value ram

I have Elixir, and it's great value ram.

Too bad I can get OCZ now for the price i payed for my value crap

whoa

the worst timings i've seen on value ram was my geil (2.5-4-4-8)

some people had UTT chips on their geil value too

3-4-4-8 on 'a lot' of valueRAM? what crap brands are you shopping at.

Diablos Geils RAM is the crappiest I've seen and I'd certainly not say 'a lot' of valueRAM has it.

Doesn't matter his timings anyway since he can't get it up to PC3200 speeds as it is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom