Creative sound vs. the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don't know why one is said to be better than the other *scratch head*.. Technological reasons wise. For me surround sound is a must :D.. Guess u have to be an audiophile to appreciate the more finer differences.

I have used Creative before, they are excellent cards, at the momeny I use a Chaintch with the CMI 8738 chipset, the sound is crisp, and basically all I need, combined with my TV Tuner card I am set :) best thing is it only cost me $13 :D

i've heard that one of chaintech's cards with the via envy chipset isn't bad either for a cheap card

oh well...i'm happy with my onboard, since i can't afford any good sound cards

Chankama said:
Still don't know why one is said to be better than the other *scratch head*.. Technological reasons wise. For me surround sound is a must :D.. Guess u have to be an audiophile to appreciate the more finer differences.

You wont likely see any real numbers as evidence, just opinion and conjecture.

Probably would also help to check the nature of whats being done with the sound card too, games, or stereo audio?.Then what else are we comparing it to?Home stereo audio type stuff, or just the different lines of cards and desktop type speakers only?Then for each what kind of baseline?From the specs ive seen on the old original ISA soundblasters for example, what they may lack due to ISA bus constraints, they still are way ahead quality wise of what the average CD audio or mp3 is these days........so all the sound card quality in the world can only do so much, the source still has to be good to sound good.It has to be able to exit the system without any extra noise introduced too, some mobo's are better than others, power supplies too.These things can make a good card bad.

For gaming, I can see an advantage of using a card that unburdens the CPU as much as possible, and having really good well written drivers would be a definite plus.Question is, how well do the top end cards do at this, and is it worth the extra $$?

well is there a difference between 60fps and 65fps?

not really

IMO not worth the price to buy "gamer" cards

diabloII said:
well that's because you probably have never owned any expensive audio equipment

however, m-audio's card were made for music and audiophiles

Wooooowwwww......

Here we go again. Anyway

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53599&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51179&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Somewhere you will find in these Where I have mention that louder is better to 90% of the world. that is the only different in the turtle beach, m audio and soundblaster. the people pick them because they put out more preamp output voltage.

beedubaya said:
I have a Creative and I love it. I also have a Logitech THX 5.1 sound system, and it works so well with my Creative Audigy 2 ZS. :) Even back when I just had my PC hooked into a regular Stereo system, I noticed a tremendous difference between the sound quality of my Audigy and the sound quality of my integrated sound on my old PC. I have nothing negative to say about Creative.

Chris, You are a DJ though, so you know sound better than anybody here, so you probably know best. I will keep an eye on this thread though, and if it turns into a flame war I will have to close it.
This is the biggest misconception in audio to people that not in the know. An audiophile will always know more than a DJ. Because we care enough to learn everything (actually almost everything, really a lot of info). Now sometime an audiophile will be a DJ, but not often

Crysalis and I are the audio experts here.

HereÂ’s the difference

An audiophile will have like music since day one (as a kid) and he will always try to improve the sound of his equipment. He will strive to know as much as possible. He will get books to read up on the subject. He will go to the old men as a youngster and always hit them up information. The old men always know what up with music as they will have over 50-60 year experience (they started as a kid too and they will not as a know it all either) . The DJ doesnÂ’t even know about the old men.

The audiophile will build his own speakers at one time or another. He will learn how to design his own crossover networks. He will get his hands on oscilloscope, spl meter and amp tester to test his gear, along with test cds. This stuff cost thousand of dollars. A dj won't be bother with this.

Now, here is the dj. He will like music. He will go into the field. If he last, he will be around thousand of dollar worth of equipment most of it lo-fi. DJ gear is meant to be loud, not accurate. Especially the speakers. He will have speaker that will hit 120 db but will not have a frequency graph. My speakers will hit maybe 110-114 db but will be within .05-1.0 db tolerance from 30-20,000 hertz. On a frenquency graph his speaker will look like an earthquake, mine more like a flat line.

His subwoofer will has a 6-15db boost at 60 Hz and claim to be deep bass. That is booming bass. My sub's -3 db point will be 24 Hz, but it will play down to 14 hertz. There with no bass boost applied anywhere

Now a dj will think that he knows it all, because he has been around expensive equipment, and he think that makes him an expert, but there is another part of audio that he will never explore.

I got a lot of DJ friends. I teach them a lot of stuff

Last but not least, an audiophile will never let loudness factor in to which is better. we will pick the product the sound the best even if it is at a lower level. I use to have to 3 home and pro amps that will put out 1800 (adcom 555 II in brigde 2 ohm mode), 2400 (qsc 2400) and (mackie M-2600) 2600 watts that I've sold on ebay, because as I've stated earlier, my economic status hasn't been that good in the george bush era. but anyway I've always had plenty of power, so I won't let the loudness of other equipment factor in my decision.

audiophile usually tend to agree with each other. you can tell an audiophile just by the stuff he say about audio. you will have 2 Dj with 2 completely different opinions.

DJ Chris this is not in reference to you, but to DJ in general

Well alot of DJ's do care about sound quality and alot of them are soft of audiophiles

Most DJ's (not talking wedding type) will either build our own speakers or have studio monitors (for home use)

And DJ's spend alot more than 1K on audio gear, except for maybee a small handful of mobile DJ's that do school's and crap.

Most DJ's run around with 1K in turntables, 600-700$ Mixer, Thousands in music, 100+$ headphones and CD players will run at least 500$ each.

DJ's also still do have VERY good ears compared to most people due to learning beatmatching makes you hear stuff you have never heard before in the music.

EDIT: Personally myself I am selling my "white van" speakers that are loud and I got years ago before being educated. I like my music loud, but dont need to have it above what a good pair of studio monitors will do in my house.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Well alot of DJ's do care about sound quality and alot of them are soft of audiophiles

Most DJ's (not talking wedding type) will either build our own speakers or have studio monitors (for home use)

And DJ's spend alot more than 1K on audio gear, except for maybee a small handful of mobile DJ's that do school's and crap.

Most DJ's run around with 1K in turntables, 600-700$ Mixer, Thousands in music, 100+$ headphones and CD players will run at least 500$ each.

DJ's also still do have VERY good ears compared to most people due to learning beatmatching makes you hear stuff you have never heard before in the music.

EDIT: Personally myself I am selling my "white van" speakers that are loud and I got years ago before being educated. I like my music loud, but dont need to have it above what a good pair of studio monitors will do in my house.

this just bought back memories. I once had a $12.000.00 micro seiky turntable (I had the technique 1200 too). I trade some audio equipment for it. now that thing sounded better than any cd ever will. Now that is something that dj and audiophiles will always agree on. some say it's the phrase distortion that the turntables introduce that make them sound so good. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom