Ddr Vs. Ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do believe that DDR2 runs at half the actual clock speed internally... so if it runs at 800Mhz externally its really running at 200 Mhz DDR internally... just remember reading an article on it in a computer mag, so we will see, im going with best performance no matter what it may be...

Leonidas said:
i do believe that DDR2 runs at half the actual clock speed internally... so if it runs at 800Mhz externally its really running at 200 Mhz DDR internally... just remember reading an article on it in a computer mag, so we will see, im going with best performance no matter what it may be...
huh? It is still DDR RAM, so yes, the actual frequency is half the advertized speed, but 800MHz DDR2 RAM would still run at 400MHz actual speed, not 200MHz...

DDR2 is here to stay, it is the natural progression from DDR. I think you can build only the Intel platforms with DDR2 at least until the end of the year when AMD comes out with theirs.

Guess I have no choice but to get DDR for now, cause I am sold on getting an AMD processor. Save money that way too. w00p

I am guestimating by the end of the year or sooner is when motherboard manufacturers will have AMD DDR2 boards available but of course this is only guess work at best.

It is my advice that you avoid DDR2 at any and all costs, until the transition to DDR3 or XDR RAM takes place. DDR2 has impressive speeds at the moment, but is notorious for horribly high latencies. If you don't believe me, just look at VRAM, GDDR2 was virtually skipped over because companies recognised the high latency issue and switched to DDR3, which corrects this problem.

XDR RAM is the best, boasting DDR3 speeds with DDR1 timings (supposedly), but with Rambus spearheading this technology it may be difficult to force upon the market, especially if it is pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom