Copying Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandiyan

In Runtime
I am currently in the process of building a new computer. My old computer has a 6gig HD currenly in it with Windows XP SP2 installed on it. What I would like to do is possibly install the 6gig HD into the new system as well so I will already have XP loaded onto it. I was told by someone that this would not be possible as it would not recognize the new hardware and therefore not boot Windows. Is there any way around this at all? Or is there a better way to go about doing this so that I will still be able to use the Windows XP that I have already. I do not have my registration code anymore as it was installed by a friend who works in IT and had a copy laying around. Thank you in advance for your help.

You can do it, but windows will forever run horribly. You will always be getting errors, all kinds of things. Your best bet is to just reinstall windows on the new system, so it can install and configure all of the components like they should be. You can always set up the old drive as a slave if there is data you want off of it.

Yeah your best bet is to do a completely new install of windows xp. If you want to keep files though just put the old one as a slave and you can just copy them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom