Motherboard Suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

saiello

Solid State Member
Hi All. I think I have a problem with a motherboard that I hope you can help me with. I bought the motherboard, CPU and memory as a secondhand bundle that I was assured was working. Here are the specs:

M/B - Asus A7V8X ( not MX ) FSB333MHz
Processor - Athlon XP2200+
Memory - 512MB DDR333
Graphics Card - S3 Savage Pro 32Mb PCI

I've tested the CPU, memory and graphics card independantly in another machine and they seem to be working fine. The motherboard power LED lights up and when I switch on the main power switch everything seems to kick in ( drives, CPU fan etc ) but then nothing happens! The screen remains blank ( the monitor doesn't even come out of standby mode and switch on ), but more worryingly, I don't get any BIOS beeps, just a couple of electrical clicks coming from the speaker! I've left it on for a good few minutes but still no joy. Any help greatfully appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Salvatore.

Hi. PSU is 400W and is good as it worked fine with another M/B. I've been told that apart from the 20pin power connector that some m/B's had an additional 4pin connector but I can't find it on the M/B, and the manual doesn't mention it either..!

No, I dl'd your board's manual and there is no 4-pin connector for power.

Your board is AGP and you're using a PCI graphics card. Most likely, your bios is defaulting to AGP. I didn't see any jumper settings to change graphics card to PCI so it will need to be done in bios.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to get an AGP card. I bought a 64mb agp ATI card for under $30 on newegg for a friend's system.

You will have better performance with AGP also.

Hi, thanks for the info. I understand that AGP is better than PCI but I don't want to ( can't afford! ) to splash out on a new graphics card. If the BIOS settings are holding things up then I understand it is possible to reset the BIOS to default settings using jumpers on the motherboard. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks again.

That will reset changes recorded in memory-CMOS-but that will not replace defaults such as that.. anyone else have a better idea?

Does this board have on-board video? Probably not...

Can you borrow an AGP card from someone? I'm sure there is someway you can get your hands on an AGP card for 5 minutes.

Hi, If all else fails, I'll see if I can buy a graphics card and return it with a suitable excuse if it doesn't solve the problem.. ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom